Washington Silver quarter history

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dug13, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Just read a short article in Coinweek about Washington Quarters.

It stated the silver versions were struck from 1932 to 1966. Silver quarters struck in 1965 and 1966 were antedated 1964. The final “1964” silver quarter was struck in January 1966.

The article does not tell why the Mint did this. Does anyone know the history behind this occurrence?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

4. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

I am not sure as to the accuracy of this, but I remember reading that a few silver quarters were minted in 1965 on accident. They are supposed to be super rare but I have never seen one so it could have just been a rumor.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Yes, they are rare, if they are dated 1965.

However, the mint continued the 1964 date until 1966 in order to mass produce the coins and make them unattractive to hoarders or coin collectors.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Very interesting...all...had no idea of the post-dated 1964 quarters struck in 65 and 66. Moreover, learned several things in the Wiki-article such as the quarters struck at WP but without mint-marks in 1977-79...also the Lincoln cents struck at SF in 1983, but without mint-marks. Have always wondered in general why the mint ceased with mint marks on certain coins, here/there, on/off, etc., plus started using the P on some Philly coins. Maybe in part for inconsistency to thwart counterfeiting...?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Mint marks have proved to bad news for certain coins because their presence met that the coins would never circulate. Look at issues like the 1969-S cent.

As for adding the "P" for Philadelphia, I don't understand that. Perhaps it has something to do with putting all mints on the same footing.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I would like to know the answer also. The replies I see are all here say. Great question, thank you.

9. Exodus_gear

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Exodus-gear........The article in Coinweek refers to actual silver (90%) dated 1964 quarters being struck in 1965 and 1966, dated 1964. Not wrong metal planchet errors, although those does exist in small quantities. If I knew how to add the link to the article, I would. Maybe someone with higher tech skills can do that. (Coinweek, July 5, 2021. “UNITED STATES 1972-D WASHINGTON QUARTER” .)

Heavymetal likes this.
  11. Exodus_gear

Ah okies, I thought the previous user comment was asking about the wrong metal. My apologies.

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I think it take Congress 3 years to vote on a stop sign

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Cheech9712

Good guess. Makes sense

14. Cheech9712

Funny that would mention the 1969s. I’ve been search cents for maybe 4+ years. Only found 2. Grandkids have memorial books with one big hole in them. They don’t even bring them out to often when they show me old cents.

15. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

I have a silver 1964 quarter and two silver 1964 D's...

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted