Washington Quarters

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Steve W., Feb 20, 2019.

1. Steve W.

Steve W. New Member

My brother passed away a few years ago and I’m just now getting into looking at his coins. He had bags of quarters from 1965-76. I know these are after the silver change in 1964 so does anyone have an idea why he would have some many from these years—other than he had a lot of time on his hands?

Heavymetal likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I hoard change. (for really no reason at all) I have jars and jars of quarters, ammo boxes of nickels and dimes, and containers full of pennies. I also have in my will that all the bulk stuff is just bulk stuff ... I figured I didn't want to drive my kids totally crazy going through all that stuff.

Though I do not "collect" more modern coinage. There's a lot of die crack, doubled die, and far more that just have general circulation wear and damage. You could if you wanted to learn about numismatics about quarters, though it is a long, learning journey.

I also have a coin collection which are very specific coins (early 1900s going back from there). But when I buy stuff with cash I tend to save all my change and build up my change hoard. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Make it easy on yourself. Take those bags to the bank and cash them in. Highly unlikely there are any coins in there with meaningful collector value.

5. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I used to hold onto coins from the 60s ('65-'69) and 1976 bicentennials in AU condition. Occasionally even EF and XF condition. However, I realized that their value is nominal, and I have since spent them. If you want to save coins, it only makes sense to save 1964 or before (or before 1971 for halves).

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A lot of people saved coins from 1965, the year of no silver, to 1976, the Bicentennial. None are worth more than face value.

Welcome to CT.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Sorry about your brother. Unless there is a coin in EXCEPTIONAL condition,
    they are just bags of quarters.

8. Steve W.

Steve W. New Member

Thanks everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted