WASHINGTON PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR WITH SMOOTH EDGE

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by willard t frye, Dec 1, 2015.

1. I have a presidential Washington dollar with a smooth edge. Mint has reported that these are not mechanical errors but are coins that missed the process of not having edge lettering added. Mint estimates approx 50,000 or less were accidentally missed. See picts.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Came out in 2007. At first they were achieving high premiums (up to 200$) but the market has flattened out and has since dropped as many of these coins were found and reported. Now you can get one for 20-30$ on fleabay

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I'd take $20 for a $1 coin any day of the week!

As for mintages, my guess is that w-a-a-y more than 50,000 were produced.
    I used to know a fella (he's deceased) that had more than 11,000 of them he'd gotten from a Bank in Florida! He shared these photo's in a thread on the CU Forums back in July of 2007:

Sumorada MEL Find-01.jpg

Sumorada MEL Find-02.jpg

CU Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=26&threadid=568122&STARTPAGE=2

Now THAT was a major score!

Markus1959 likes this.
  5. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

The bank roll picture (appears to me) to have some markings. Were the smooth edge around the coin completely smooth or were there intermittent markings ?
    Dave

6. 19Lyds

According to the original OP, they were completely smooth.

7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I have no idea if the edge markings are stamped in one process or several, but if they are in one process it would make sense that the edges would be completely smooth.

Dave

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

edge lettering is applied in a second step after striking

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It is on page #6

10. 19Lyds

The Washington and Adams Dollars had edge lettering applied "after" the minting process. This is still true except that, today, as the coins leave the press they are fed into the edge lettering machine.

In the past, the coins were loaded into bins and then physically "taken" to the edge lettering machine which accounts for so many Missing Edge Lettering Washington Dollars. It also accounts for the double edge lettered Adams dollars which got fed through the edge lettering machine twice.

There are "other" doubled edge lettering Presidential Dollars but a lot of them are not "true" doubled edge lettering. They are in fact "overlapping edge lettering" that one submitter insisted that PCGS Slab them as double edge lettering because on portions of the edges, it looked like double lettering.

This caused quite a stir since one of the primary registry competitors for the Presidential Dollar sets purchased one from this fellow. When he received it, it was obvious that it was "overlapping lettering" which is, unfortunately, the exact same term that was used for the Adams Double Edged Lettering where the lettering was on the same orientation instead of "Inverted". The buyer was not a very happy camper since he'd spent A bit less than 2 grand for it.

https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=30&threadid=774870

11. 11,000 x $20 now that is a MAJOR score.

Draft saved Draft deleted