Washington DC quarter info request.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by alurid, Aug 20, 2017.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I acquired this quarter recently and did some research on it. I found that this is a Dan Carr design for the Washington DC Quarter from the 2009 District of Columbia and U.S. Territories Series. It really caught my attention because of the “Copy” engraving on the obverse. My inquiry is for any information as to where this was made? How many where produced? And any other information about this coin. The following is all the info I was able to find.

This design shows the Capitol dome, the Washington Monument, cherry blossoms, and the motto of the District of Columbia.

I was commissioned to design this piece for a marketing company, and they minted it with a 2004 date.
    DSC06461.JPG DSC06462.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I have a 6 myself. They are silver, bought in DC in 2004 from a souvenir vendor. Mine say copy as well on the obverse. IMG_0053.JPG

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Mine must be Silver Clad, when I look into the bottom of the engraved "Copy" I can see what looks like a copper core. I thought it interesting these have an "S" mint mark, but I'm thinking where not made in the San Fransisco mint.
    If you don't mind, can I ask what they where selling for?

5. SchwaVB57

If I remember correctly, I paid $2.50 to $3.00 each at the time.

alurid likes this.
  6. SchwaVB57

Here is an old CoinTalk thread about these quarters
    Odd Washington D.C Quarter COPY Cool reverse design

alurid likes this.
  7. SchwaVB57

It should be silver, it is a Dan Carr design from what I have researched. They were minted at a private mint.

8. Cjg2014

Cjg2014 New Member

He I also squired a set of 2coins 1being silver and 1being clad
    they are in a box in holders together the certificate shows,national collectors mint it also has the spec on both coins certified and signed by Barry m Goldwater,Jr Director

Draft saved Draft deleted