Washington 25c Toning: Which do you prefer if you had to keep one?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Oct 21, 2021.

?

You can only keep one for your set...

1. A. Rainbow rims

47.7%
  2. B. Blast white

50.0%
  3. C. Original skin

2.3%
  1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I would consider the third one more of a mottled toning.
    Given the three to choose from I chose A.
    But in reality if B had less contact and better luster I would pick that one.

TonkawaBill and BuffaloHunter like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yeah it picked that mottled original look from a mint set, probably. I feel like C. is the highest grade.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If it wasn't so dark and has a loss in the the eye appeal of the grade, I would say yes. The coin just doesn't have that blazing luster look, like A or B.
    Maybe it is just the photos.

C-B-D likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

This old man opts for the blast white. Seems to be a pattern with me.....

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Ooh, I like A. It's a good strike, too. B is also a good strike. C is a little weak.

9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

On "A", does the coin have a semi-Cameo type look on the obverse? I like that look when the fields are darker but the Devices are frosty white. If so, I think I would like that one best. But many times, toning also appears prettier in photos than in-hand, so in the end, I would probably pick "B".

TonkawaBill and BuffaloHunter like this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on my set, (if this is for a set). A or B are my favorites, and if strictly only for eye appeal I believe A is the prettiest, but I very much understand why many, (no @Randy Abercrombie , not just old men :)), would prefer the nice bright silver B. B is how the mint meant for it to look and how it looked when made.

11. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Absolutely A, no question, and not only for the 'toning". Superlative quality and strike.

12. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Although I like the look of A, I'm still a blast white kinda guy when it comes to silver.

13. Steve minor

Steve minor New Member

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I really don't like mottled toning -- even if the underlying grade is quite high, it ruin's the coin's appearance to my taste.

Between the toning of A and the blast white of B, I'd have a much harder choice.

15. charley

charley Well-Known Member

View the Obverse, specifically neck, and open field in front left (facing photo). Blast white may nor be what it appears.
    Review the claws, and the breast and the cheek, as comparisons.

Not that it matters that much when discussing toning/no toning, but I love the hair and ribbon appeal of A, also.
    It is simply a superlative coin, overall. The 51 is a great piece to discuss the bestest of the bestest.

Thanks.

wxcoin likes this.
  16. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I like B . Plain and simple .

TonkawaBill and PassthePuck like this.
  17. Looking at the strength of the strike, on the obverse especially ... the detail and sharpness of the strike in the wings, the heart-shape in the wreath below on the right, as well as the log and talons ... A is the choice.

18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

A has by far the best eye appeal, and since my collecting style revolves around eye appeal, that would be my choice. C looks AU to me and is firmly in last place.

19. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

B...always B if/when given a choice. That said, I actually prefer an option not offered/shown here...an off-white (not "blast") or subtle champagne-tone all over.

TonkawaBill and PassthePuck like this.
  20. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

A over B & C every day of the week.

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

No guessing, I would take them all. Or, if you choose one I will take the other two. K, thanks.

charley, wxcoin and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted