Washing circulated silver coins with mild soap and water

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Doc J, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

It's so nice to have a scientist in the family. I have two and only approach one...hahahahahahahahaa

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

baseball21 and Robert91791 like this.
  4. Robert91791

Oh no. I do get it. Thank you. I do respectfully understand you and the other collectors position. I'll stick with mine. Don't worry I won't make any comments about this now that I know the scientific results/findings...

hahahahahahahahahahaa

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The way you use "scientific" here doesn't give me a lot of confidence that you understand the term.

What measure did your cousin use to assess damage?

Robert91791 likes this.
  6. Robert91791

I don't have to convince you or explain anything to you or anybody. Her observation of before and after under magnification is valid. As I have said I'll keep my findings to myself. hahahahahahaha

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I doubt anything was actually done from the posting style.

8. Robert91791

My cousin said that her approach and observation was so simple yet people will never believe her..hahahahahahahahahaha and worst deny it..

hahahahaha

9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

This thread is absurd...please delete!

10. Robert91791

The thinning of the coin during circulation was even worse damage for circulated coins only. This is the subject of the test "circulated coin".

11. Robert91791

I rest my case.

12. Robert91791

I'm sure you can go to any university and you can find any students to experiment and come up with the same findings...

The students doesn't charge any money

hahahahahaha

13. Robert91791

My cousin works for a community college teaching chemistry...

There is where we did it...for free...

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Why would I want a chemist to try and convince me to do something that I know is dumb just because they know nothing about coins

Robert91791 likes this.
  15. Robert91791

Is trying to find the effect of soap and water against coin dumb...man....

well what do you know, well she was right, people will not accept the facts...

hahahahahaha...That is perfectly ok and I totally understand your position.

16. Pickin and Grinin

oooh oooh! A community college chemist!

John Skelton and Kentucky like this.
  17. Robert91791

well that is sure cool to degrade someone who has a doctorate degree. You are a really cool fellow...

18. Robert91791

Well, my cousin provided me this quote :

"An important application for the binary Cu-Ni alloys is coinage. Because of their tarnish resistance, their colour, their lustre and the ease with which they can be processed to coin blanks with a good surface finish and dimensional accuracy and because of their good response to minting, Cu-Ni alloys are very suitable for coinage. They allow the manufacture of hard coins, accurate in shape and dimensions. Even the finest patterns can be minted with sharp edges. Wear of the embossing is so slight that coins can be circulated for decades without deterioration." Application

Source: Copper.org....

19. Pickin and Grinin

Your cousin didn't do a full test of the benefits nor the downfalls of cleaning coins. What are the results? Did she send the coin for a professional opinion then clean it and send it back for another. did she do this with multiple coins. No she cleaned one coin or a couple and said that it did a visual upgrade with a Noobies background. The results of cleaning coins isn't one coin fits all. She didn't do a scientific experiment she gave you an uneducated guess.

And if she would have gone through all the steps involved, as I posted she would have found that after cleaning the coins. The professional opinion on all of them would have been that the coins would have lost value from a numismatic stand point.

Lets keep this to cleaning coins with mild soap and water is harmful to the coin and also a bad practice.

Restoration and cleaning are two different things.

John Skelton and baseball21 like this.
  20. Robert91791

The topic was washing coins with mild soap and water. It is just to prove that it doesn't hurt the coin. Restoration is another topic. You just don't get it. I'm not challenging the restorators or anybody. All I have done is to ask for help to prove if this method will have an effect on the coin. That is all. Well her experience in chemical and metal composition background helps me to make an informative decision. As for you or anyone, I could care less. Now that I have that information. It is up to you or any to take it or not. No offense.

21. Pickin and Grinin

Let's say this again for all the NOOBY's out there washing coins with mild soap and water HURTS your coins!!!!!!!!!
    Rubbing?cleaning with anything other than a rinse is damaging the value and over all appearance of your coins.

Do not do it! Seek professional help!

Draft saved Draft deleted