Washing circulated silver coins with mild soap and water

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Doc J, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

I could care less about that. I don't have a power loupe. A 5 seconds of rub is not going to make a big damage on the coins. These are all circulated coins and I'm not going to spend the money having them inspected. I only clean the ones that are dirty. The rest, I leave them alone. As for the silver, I don't wash them. After having to see them in circulation for more than 20 years, I'm not going to be concern of that as they have been rub, drop, scratch, etc., by other people.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If you've had your car for four or five years, it's probably gotten a few scratches and dings from gravel, dust, and debris. So you might as well go after it with sandpaper, right?

That's exactly analogous to rubbing a coin with an abrasive, and yes, baking soda is abrasive.

I swear, if I find out who planted troll-nip all around here...

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That really made me laugh. Let's just hope that troll-nip is not sold in stores.

5. Robert91791

I understand your position. But lets not make this any more complicated when in fact it is not.

6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Why do people feel the need to clean US coins that are in average circulated condition? I personally like the "circulation cameo" look on circulated silver coins. Why clean them when there's nothing wrong with them?

I can understand cleaning ancient coins which are unreadable, or conserving a coin that has a lot of gunk on it, but why clean a coin that looks fine? Just my opinion.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Robert91791

Well some coin are just dirty and I personally don't like dirty coins knowing they have been in circulation for more than 20 years or more. Everyone has a choice and preference as you have said.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I didn't read all of the posts, so I apologize if this a repeat.

For avg circulated coins, soaking in soapy water to remove dirt won't hurt anything as long as you rinse off all the residue. Removing tarnish IS NOT the same as removing dirt. Soap and water will not remove tarnish/toning. If you're silver coins are common, lower grade pieces, the value is tied to the price of silver not numismatic value. Dipping or using something like baking soda will irreparably damage the surface. The "cleaning your car with sandpaper" is a good analogy. However, do you have a car just off the showroom floor, or a 15 year old beater with rust and bondo?

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with removing the dirt with mild soap or soaking in acetone. I would not use dips or other abrasive methods. I feel it gives the coins an unnatural appearance that is just plain ugly.

Left pic - normal aged look
    Right pic - Abrasively cleaned and/or harshly dipped

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    John Skelton likes this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Dipping and using baking soda are in no way close to each other

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Don't they both remove metal from the surface of the coin? Technically, however, you are correct. One is chemical and one is more physical (if rubbed). For someone that isn't an advanced numismatist, chemist, or metallurgist, I think the generalization is an easy way to get the point across. Novice collectors have a much higher probability of doing irreparable surface damage when removing tarnish/toning regardless of the method.

Just trying to offer some easy to understand advice to the OP.

BTW: You can use abrasive materials to clean your classic car.
    [​IMG]

Robert91791 likes this.
  11. -jeffB

Then... this seems like an odd hobby to pursue?

Let's face it: coins have cooties. Period. Circulated coins have been kept in pockets, slid across counters, dropped on the floor, maybe even in the toilet. But scrubbing them, the way you'd clean anything else you picked up off the ground, damages their surfaces in a way that matters to most collectors, and can't be undone.

They are your coins, and you can do as you like with them. But saying "I don't like dirty coins, so I clean all mine" seems a bit like saying "I love cats, but I don't like getting my furniture scratched, so I have all my cats de-clawed". Someone who knows nothing about cats might well say "seems reasonable", but mention de-clawing around actual cat lovers at your own peril...

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I noticed that too about acetone and copper. Most people think I'm full of something or other when I caution them against it.

Sorry for the mini-lecture rant, but I didn't know you didn't need it. I look at dirt like "pay dirt." It's as good a guarantee as you're going to get that the surface was let alone. I suppose a case could be made if it's reactive, though, it could damage the surface, if given enough time.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Let’s go at this at a different angle:

Should you clean your coins? Hey, that’s up to you.

Would I (and many other collectors) be interested in buying your cleaned coins?

Don’t count on it.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Do you two mind if I say something, while you, um, catch your breath? Will you two cut it out? You're cracking me up! :)

15. Collecting Nut

Oh come on. We all need a little laugh now and again. LMAO :)

16. -jeffB

But there's another thing to keep in mind: they won't be yours forever. Whether or not you care about resale value, whether or not you care about your kids or the neighbors or whoever metal-detects those buried cans of yours a century down the road, you've got custody of those coins for a limited time. If you deliberately scrub them or paint them or nail them to a board, it's not just "damaging your investment", it's a big <not-1950s-TV-friendly> to all future collectors who might come across them.

Santinidollar likes this.
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Go ahead and scrub them down. Don’t forget the oven cleaner and Brillo pads.

It’ll improve the market for my heirs should they get stuck selling my coins.:wacky:

18. Collecting Nut

Yes and if you use the right brand of steel wool you can forget the soap.

If you feel Baking Soda is a good cleaner then put a small amount, about the same you would use on a coin, on your teeth and scrub away. You'll feel and see the difference in minutes.

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

5000 grit sandpaper works good too...

eddiespin likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

A coin is only cleaned when 1) you clean it or 2) you can tell it has been cleaned. Otherwise the coin has not been cleaned...we should talk about conservation.

21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Wait long enough and you may forget that you cleaned it and PRESTO! it's no longer a cleaned coin! ;)

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted