Was the dealer not telling me something?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, May 1, 2006.

1. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

The normal dealer I go to wasn't working yesterday, so I took my 1893-s morgan dollar which was graded vg-10 by anacs to make sure it wasn't a higher grade (which I didn't think it was), and he offered me 3700 for it. Greysheet in vg is 2150, and in fine is 3200. Needless to say, I sold that coin so fast : )

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

Congratulations are in order...you sold high and made a profit. I know that is a bad word in some circles, but it is okay to sell for more than what a price guide states.

Maybe he had a buyer that told him to look out for and buy all the authenticated 1893-S morgans he could find and with that instruction, jumped all over your coin.

I had a dealer that told me he had some customers that were looking for NGC or PCGS slabbed IKES graded in MS65 circulated grades (or better). I brought it some of my dups and unloaded them a prices way over what any of the sheets stated. When I came in a week later, all of my IKEs I sold to the dealer were GONE.

So rest easy...this coin is probably in some collector's home that HAD TO HAVE IT.

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Nice price Zane, he's happy, your happy so all in all a Happy tale :D

De Orc :D

5. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

An 1893-S in an NGC F-15 holder sold on ebay yesterday for $3,384 so you got a good price for yours. Was that the coin that you had a hard time getting back from ANACS?

Charlie

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I wonder if the guy had a suck....um, buyer ready for that coin? That's a few hundred more than Heritage is getting for the two they have on Buy It Now. How nice an example was yours?

7. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Fortunately it wasn't the coin I was having a hard time getting back from ANACS (which I finally did get back). The coin I was waiting for was an 1878 7/8 tf ms-65 morgan dollar (I had two, and one came back a 64, the other a 65). I managed to sell the 65 for 200 dollars over greysheet ask, so I think I finally have just about enough cash for my move to California :D

8. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Mine was a vg-10, and I'd say it was average for the grade.:hail:

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well it depends. What grade do YOU think the coin gaded? If you think it was a VG then you probably did very welll. It you think it was really a F-15 then you still did ok but nat as well as if it was a VG-10. From the price you got it sounds like the dealer probably thought it was undergraded and was honest about it. Of course he may have been in error in his judgement of the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted