Was researching Capped Bust Halves on Heritage when I stumbled on this atrocity.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Sep 3, 2018.

1. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Says the person necromancing month old threads. Oh, the irony.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

What's ironic about it? A month old thread is not a dead thread. Some people only read/respond occasionally. Doing so is not childish.

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The thing is, when this coin was originally submitted (note the 7-digit serial number), it should not have been holdered at all, due to the scratch. It should have gone straight to a body-bag without being graded. There was no such thing as a "details coin," as details grades weren't available until years later, so there's no mechanical error in play here.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes a month old thread is still active as sometimes, coins are sent for grading, and the results take a while, and the thread will be revived.
    Could the coin have str. graded. and then get scratched afterwards?

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Not while in the holder. The coin has been re-holdered at least once, so there's a remote possibility that a shard of plastic scratched it the reholdering process, but then I imagine the submitter would have made PCGS eat the coin then and there.

EyeAppealingCoins and Michael K like this.
  7. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

It depends on how broadly one defines the term "mechanical error." PCGS seems to interpret that phrase quite broadly. Ultimately it is up to them and the only recourse a submitter would have would be to sue if the claim is denied. This is not feasible given the costs, and PCGS would no doubt try enforce the choice of venue clause in the submission contract and force a suit in California. I sincerely hope you are correct and that for publicity reasons alone PCGS will buy this one back.

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

First off, The coin has a very deep gouge that no one working at a TPGS (including the maintenence man at on of the fly-by-night self slabers would miss in the dark. Next, there needs to be a way to educate folks about what they see on a coin so we can all speak the same language. Words as hairline, staple scratch, excessive cleaning, etc mean something. A very deep gouge is not a scratch and was not made by a pointed piece of wood or plastic! A steal pin or needle didn't make it either. Lot's of "someones" - all the way to QC at PCGS screwed up BIG TIME. Pointing this out is rather silly to me. Six pages?

Now I'll try to add something constructive. I've noticed more damaged coins (from minor to noticeable) are being straight graded. FORGET THE OP'S COIN - it does not apply to this post.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM as I see it and it comes down to what each of us think as a dealer, professional grader, or collector:

I personally do not wish to find any PMD on a coin in my collection. I also don't wish to straight grade anything I would not want in my personal collection. THAT'S NOT REALISTIC. If you look at a circulated coin long enough, you'll see something. Now a grader must make a decision. Example: We had an XF half cent in last week. It was straight graded. However, under QC, I "detailed it" for the several thin, unnoticable scratches under the "cent" that were close to the entire lengh of the word. A ten minute "discussion" about commercial grading, value, fairness, etc. took place. The owner of the company was called in. It took him about fifteen seconds to see the schs when I asked him if it should go out straight graded. So, what do you think, Too conservative to protect the next puyer. Net grade the coin to VF and let folks think ICG cant grade. Straight grade it and when it's time to seel the dealer is going to point out the defect and "surprise!"

You are responsible to check the coins you buy. TPGS's have their own standards. LEARN THEM.

e,

Kentucky likes this.
  9. EyeAppealingCoins

It depends on how much alcohol is in the egg nog or punch at the office holiday party. The grade certainly was one heck of a gift to the submitter.

A standard, by definition, is consistent. The ever changing "standards" used by the services are not standards at all, but a money grab. Perhaps it is time for the services to start abiding by industry standards that predated them (Brown and Dunn, Photograde, ANA, etc.). So I agree, the services should LEARN THEM. When you let guarantee/warranty companies start redefining the standards that have existed for several years, you have already started down a slippery slope.

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Would be a curse to me. I don't mind the occasional cleaned coin that got a pass from PCGS, but this? No, I want nothing to do with it.

11. EyeAppealingCoins

I don't know... I would love to find one of those crazy dealers at a show who only looks at the label/their price guide. A one-off every now and then won't kill the market, but might make for a happy day.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Check the coins and don't buy coins that don't meet YOUR standards.

Kentucky and Insider like this.
  13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:dead: TOPIC ALERT :dead:

EyeAppealingCoins, posted: "A standard, by definition, is consistent. The ever changing "standards" used by the services are not standards at all, but a money grab. Perhaps it is time for the services to start abiding by industry standards that predated them (Brown and Dunn, Photograde, ANA, etc.). So I agree, the services should LEARN THEM. When you let guarantee/warranty companies start redefining the standards that have existed for several years, you have already started down a slippery slope."

:rolleyes::vomit::yack::yack::yack::yack::yack::yack::yack: Can we PLEASE, please stop this totally unrealistic, "Ivory Tower," wanna, shoulda, wishful fantasy? News flash, none of the grading guides above WAS EVER A STANDARD. :jawdrop: Most did not follow them as they were only informed "guidelines."

There is NO STANDARD!
    There is NO STANDARD! None...:grumpy:

Get used to it. This post above echoes the same sentiments of fifty years ago YET GRADING CONTINUED TO EVOLVE as the :hilarious::hilarious:"standards":hilarious::hilarious: changed.

Rather than preach and whine over :bored:and over :bored:and over :bored:, I recommend folks try this: Conder101, posted: "Check the coins and don't buy coins that don't meet YOUR standards." :smuggrin:

Kentucky and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So does that mean that MS++++++++++++++++++++++ is OK?o_Oo_Oo_O

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you want use it sure, and I will ignore it, look at the coin and decide if it meets my standards for the price.

Kentucky, Insider and TypeCoin971793 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted