Was researching Capped Bust Halves on Heritage when I stumbled on this atrocity.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Sep 3, 2018.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Let’s think about this logically.

Everyone who collects slabbed US coins has seen a misgraded (overgraded, undergraded, damaged, obvious cleaning, etc) coin in PCGS/NGC plastic. They may have not noticed that it was misgraded, but that is due to a lack of knowledge/skill. I’ve personally seen many dozens, if not a few hundred, misgraded coins in PCGS/NGC holders. But for every one I see, I see 10 which are properly graded (in my opinion). The members here are defending PCGS against the notion that PCGS often misgrades coins (maybe not in this thread, but certainly in others). That is simply not true, so we are trying to keep it from seeming true.

As for the bribe, wouldn’t it REALLY hurt PCGS’ credibility if they started making “mistakes” on a very regular basis for a quick gain? They would lose much more money in the long run with a trashed reputation than the short-term gain with bribes.

Insider and 1916D10C like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Except me, I said it was a libelous statement that could affect their reputation and business. Who wants to deal with a place that a member claimed might be selling grades? Heck, maybe he knows something about the inner workings and employees of at least two of the TPGS he has insulted.

All we need is an Insider, Jr. :nailbiting: around here. :jawdrop:

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Don"t beg for it!

5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I thought ed wood was going for that title lol

Kentucky, Insider and C-B-D like this.
  6. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Anyone that sends coins in for slabbing, is enabling this industry. It's just a game, they made the rules, and too many folks have joined in, and encouraged it.

People always seem to not take the time to look at the thousands of coins to acquire a skill. That coin is the result of careless handling either from the owner, or the grading service trying to make up for a screw up. The person purchasing the coin is the one who will pay the price. Again, my opinion.

1916D10C likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

“Possibly” does not protect you in a libel action anymore than saying somebody “allegedly” beat his wife without proper proof. I’m not really interested in arguing with you since I dealt with defamation laws nearly twice as long as you’ve been alive.

Insider likes this.
  8. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Gag.... here we go again with the “I’m-better/know-more-than-you-because-I’m-older.” BS. Yeah, OK! :rolleyes: That snide attitude and remark gets so old in the numismatic hobby. The internet sure makes people talk big behind a screen. I don’t wish to argue with you either. Good day to you, sir.

9. Santinidollar

I have the credentials to “talk big” on this subject. What you have is a big mouth.

Kentucky and Insider like this.
  10. 1916D10C

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, and you don’t??

11. Santinidollar

You’ve been advised by numerous members here that your remarks are legally out of bounds. If you wish to ignore that advice, you do so at your own peril.

12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Every slabbed coin I've bought has been broken out and put into an airtite capsule for my type set. Semi-enabling the industry?

1916D10C likes this.
  13. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

wowzah I spotted that scratch the moment I opened the thread. Can't believe it straight graded. I saw another coin on instagram recently that had a massive scratch that was straight graded by PCGS as well

Insider and 1916D10C like this.
  14. 1916D10C

I’m not a troll and I don’t lie claiming I purchase 6 figure coins. Lol. There’s a slight difference here.

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Yet when you first posted here, your favorite (or something of the sort) coin was a G 1916 D Dime?

16. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Then why not just straight grade everything? What would be the point of a details grade then?

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A few things to remember. Large companies have lots of money. They may make an example out of someone that trashes their brand. It can cost thousands of dollars in legal fees if you have to defend your words.
    It's best to be very careful of what you say in public.

Insider likes this.
  18. Insider

1916D10C, posted: "Gag.... here we go again with the “I’m-better/know-more-than-you-because-I’m-older.” BS. Yeah, OK! :rolleyes: That snide attitude and remark gets so old in the numismatic hobby. The internet sure makes people talk big behind a screen. I don’t wish to argue with you either. Good day to you, sir."

:rolleyes: Ah, the folly :bucktooth: of youth. Actually Insider Jr. :D, many here have be dealing/collecting/studying coins :bookworm: before you were born. ldhair is one of them. While age is not the best measurement of knowledge, with both folks deeply involved in a subject (in this case both of you), it is usually the old guy who knows more.

atcarroll, posted: "Then why not just straight grade everything? What would be the point of a details grade then?"

:facepalm: Please, we have one silly member in this thread already. Read the thread. Every poster agrees that this coin should not be straight graded!! What I'm wondering is WHY IT HAPPENED. TPGS help/claim to help protect us from coins that are less desirable than others. This was a fail, UNLESS (IMO) the TPGS decided that no idiot :bucktooth: collector*** would miss the scratches. Can you think of another reason?

*** Anyone who worked at a TPGS for a few days would understand this reference.

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Don't ignore the obvious Mike, it's usually the correct answer. In this case it would be - because they consciously chose to simply ignore the scratch.

I mean what other answer could there be ? They sure couldn't have missed it - a blind man couldn't have missed THAT scratch !

Insider likes this.
  20. Insider

GDJMSP, posted: "Don't ignore the obvious Mike, it's usually the correct answer. In this case it would be - because they consciously chose to simply ignore the scratch. I mean what other answer could there be ? They sure couldn't have missed it - a blind man couldn't have missed THAT scratch!"

I agree, I'm wondering why. Was it the overall attractiveness of the coin. Did a major dealer send it in (we all have heard theories as this)? I guess there is no way to know for sure as we were not in the grading room. Hopefully it will be withdrawn from the auction.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Has nothing to do with him being older, it had to do with the fact that he dealt with it professionally for a LONG time and he has the credentials to know what he is talking about.

Even if they wouldn't miss the scratches it is still an obvious problem coin and as such should not be straight graded. One of the whole points behind the grading services was that they would not put problem coins in their holders. You could trust the graded coins to be problem free. Then they started letting early coins with cleaning or minor problems into slabs, then some cleaned later date items, eventually they agreed to put obvious problem coins in "genuine" slabs with no grades, then they started giving them detail grades, and now have we reached the point where problem coins are being put in straight grade holders "Because the collector can obviously see it has a problem"? If so we may have come full circle where the grade applied doesn't matter and you will have to look at the coin and be able to grade to determine prices.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted