Was researching Capped Bust Halves on Heritage when I stumbled on this atrocity.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Sep 3, 2018.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I am guessing that whoever the employee was that placed it in the slab got some lunch on it on the right side of the date, and needed to rub it off with a staple, then their ball point pen "accidentally" was being used to scratch off a carbon spot in her nostril and decided to play "connect the dots" with the stars.

C-B-D likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I have seen "relatively" minor issues get a pass plenty of times, but would you agree that this is either a massive mistake (as in mechanical error... yeah right) or this is THE WORST coin to ever be given a pass.

Magnus87 and Two Dogs like this.
  5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I find it disgusting. For it to have gotten past 2 graders and a finalizer with a straight grade? That smells like a rub my back and I'll rub yours scenario.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Crazy coin. Sure looks like a scratch and a mistake. I would have thought Heritage would have said something.

Insider likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yeah, no mention of anything and no description from Heritage.

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I've seen several other very serious cases, but admittedly not quite so egregious as this one.

C-B-D likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I was looking at the collection this came from. I don't understand how so many missed this.

C-B-D likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Yuck. No excuse for this one. PCGS will end up eating it someday.

Insider likes this.
  11. Del Ihle

Del Ihle Member

Even with all the defects, it is a beautiful coin.

green18 and Magnus87 like this.
  12. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

That's why the TPGs (at least the legit ones) offer a guarantee. This one will go back to PCGS for a partial refund while at the same time protecting current prices on the R-4 rated O-112.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's just another example of coins that should never have been slabbed among countless others. But it does kinda make ya wonder just how far they'll go doesn't it ?

As the old saying goes - give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile !

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

1916D10C, posted: "Uuuuuhhhh. This actually isn't the first time I've seen scratched coins in PCGS holders. But that scratch in left field is horrendous...... edited

ETA: Somebody paid somebody off, somewhere along the way...... That's what I reckon. That doesn't look like just a mistake..... That is like the first thing you see...... I could be drunk off my butt and see that scratch. Wow. Even less faith in PCGS now."

I don't know what they edited out of your post but IMO, you are WAY OFF BASE and posting more libelous comments. IMO, this coin should not be straight or "net" graded; however, the fact that it is does not indicate a criminal activity by the TPGS!
    I think there may be a more mature way to discuss coins without the frivolous "drama" coming from a very young "ex-pert."

Santinidollar, posted: +1 on the cleaning."

Here is something to consider for you and the poster you agreed with:

At one time I believed every coin I saw with hairlines was improperly cleaned. As I gained more experience, I realized that was not always the case.

@jtlee321 I enjoyed the photo but the scratches on this coin did not come from staples.

PS This is a coin that Heritage should have done something about. While they can claim innocence it puts their company in a bad light. I'd like to read the description of this auction lot.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I agree that these are not staple scratches. This was someone with a tool, trying to make some improvements, and the tool slipped. This is one of the worst I've ever seen in a PCGS slab, but unfortunately it's not the only one.

I've also seen one with a prominent scratch through the reverse field (not quite this bad) that had a CAC sticker. I was completely flabbergasted by that one. It was in a dealer's case at a show, so I don't have pictures of it.

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I wasn't going by the hairlines to indicate a cleaning.
    It's an 1811 with an unnatural blast white appearance. I find it hard to believe that
    All of these 200 year old silver coins were stored in a humidity free vacuum for 200 years. The chances that it has been cleaned at some point is at least 99%.
    Even a 200 year old coin that has not been handled or circulated much,
    is still going to have toning regardless to the storage method. And not that
    tiny bit of toning on the edge that the dip didn't remove.

MikeinWyo and 1916D10C like this.
  17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The "blast white appearance with a touch of peripheral color is probably what got this damaged coin straight graded. If that damage was not o the coin we would have been complaining that the coin was graded MS! :facepalm:

1916D10C likes this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, this coin has unquestionably been dipped. Nobody is going to argue that. However, that appearance is considered "market acceptable" - enough so that the dip is not what we're having a problem with. The gash across the obverse is what we are having a problem with.

Insider and 1916D10C like this.
  19. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

It is 1811 not 1911 I would own it for the right price.

20. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Wow. Those are some huge scratches. That should definitely get a details grade, no way is that market acceptable.

21. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

@Insider , can you enlighten me as to why you are calling out my post for being "libelous" (which it is not) yet in your same post, you say this:

.......Claiming Heritage should have done something about it? All they are doing is consigning the coin. Now I'm not saying they (Heritage) aren't at fault, but pointing them out when PCGS straight graded the coin in the first place is rather curious.

ETA: I have never claimed to be an "expert" as you are. But this is an open board and I felt I'm invited to share my thoughts freely as everyone else is.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted