Was it worth it??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, Mar 11, 2019.

?

Was this coin worth not being able to buy any more coins for at least the rest of the year?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Here's Joey, from "Friends" carrying his Murse. (man purse)

upload_2019-3-12_2-29-27.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Here's about 100 images of murses, and even one of a guy named Tom Murse.

images of a murse

4. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Hi, Seattlelite86. Got to say, I was rather stunned at the price, $1,600. Myself being at the Scroogy end of the spectrum, I haven't ever paid over a £100. (British pounds} budget, for one single coin. But, despite that, I have managed to come across a few rare, and beautiful, ancients and others. However, If your finances allow it, and it keeps you happy, why not ? As I thought earlier, that coin is probably quite a pearl !

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Wow - that's a handsome old coin, hope it gives your many years of enjoyment - too bad you busted the bank, though ;)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Gots a feeling you'll be back in 'circulation' sooner than you think........:)

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It’s here!!! Sorry for the poor lighting on the photos. I’ll be sending it tomorrow to NGC. With a loupe, I cannot see any traces of cleaning. It is a bit darker in hand. Otherwise, I’m very happy with it!

13A235C2-BF01-4F8B-9047-86AC0F5FB182.jpeg B2C85203-254D-408D-B0B4-5376EC566ACD.jpeg

8. Seattlite86

The price is incredibly high, 2.75 times my yearly budget for coins. I, and most importantly my wife, made a special exception for this purchase. This coin will most likely remain in my collection until I pass and “outlive” most every other coin in my collection. In fact, I need to start selling some of them if I want to ever start buying coins again. :)

Theodosius and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Congratulations! A double thaler! Wow.

You know I have to post its little brother - a quarter-thaler, which itself is not a small coin (roughly the size of a US half dollar). I can only imagine the size and heft of your piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Seattlite86

Thank you and I’d have been disappointed if you didn’t post its little brother. I’m a huge fan of the design. I’ll probably do a write up of its history in a bit. Quite fascinating.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  11. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

We, probably all, look forward to your write-up, maybe in the near future. Including the knights colors and banner etc. The family background, almost certainly of nobility, would be of interest, too. And any "adventures", such as fighting in Jerusalem, during the crusades. The years, of the coins, would provide some clues as to the history. - Seems that Shakespeare turned 50 in 1614 !

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Weigh your double Taler and measure diameter before it disappears into plastic ! Useful information that cannot easily be recovered afterwards.

13. lordmarcovan

This is sound advice, as there a few pieces in my collection I don't have that data for.

One is then forced to put silly, vague notations like "weight unrecorded prior to certification", or "approx. 30 mm" in one's writeups, which can bedevil the more meticulous cataloguers among us.

I am a lazy cataloguer- always way behind in the task- but when I actually do sit down to do it, I am meticulous about it, and little things like that can irk me.

Oh- one other thing- get a good set of photos before (or with) encspsulation. This is one primary reason I use PCGS, for the TrueView images that come with their Secure Plus/Gold Shield service. Anytime you want to subsequently photograph an NGC coin post-certification, those white prongs will intrude. Best to have good photos before the slabbing happens.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Theodosius, Hookman and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. Seattlite86

Thank you and @lordmarcovan for the advice. I’ll be sure to do this.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I hope the in hand inspection was well worth the wait.
    Looks like a keeper!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

The coin is on its way to NGC for grading. Cross your fingers or say a prayer for me! My guess/hope is AU53. Feel free to toss out your guesses.

ddddd and Kentucky like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Good luck! I don't think AU53 is out of the question. I'll guess AU50.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Unfortunately NGC photo vision is not available for on-site grading events across Europe. So they’ll only take “standard” pictures for the cert lookup. On a positive note, grading should only take about 2-3 weeks.

19. Seattlite86

Legomaster1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted