Was detecting a old farm house found this

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wilddavy, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Perhaps sell the clarinet and give the wife the money...might make her rethink your investment!

AdamsCollection likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Great find!! I need to find a old farm house! I need to see what my new f44 metal detector can do! I took it out a couple of times to learn it.

4. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

That's a cool find! I have 2 detectors and haven't used them in a couple years.

AdamsCollection likes this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

For what it's worth, I bought a metal detector from Radio Shack when I was a kid with tip money from my paper routes. Around $50. I used that detector for a couple of years and it surely paid for itself with the finds I made (silver coins, silver spoons, gold rings and jewelry). A few years back, I was hanging out with my kids and their cousins when they became bored. I knew there was a Radio Shack just 5 minutes away, so I drove there and picked up another detector for around $60. They hunted the yard for a bit but they didn't want to dig the spots where the discriminator said 'foil' or 'iron'. I told them to dig anyway as I recalled back in the day, any sound was worthy of a dig (even if it was just to remove garbage). I took the detector to demonstrate and within a couple minutes, I got the 'foil' message. So I dug. Net for my effort: 1876 IHC in fine condition (second inexpensive metal detector paid for).

6. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

Clarnet.

7. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

It cleaned up great too I thought was brass

Tlberg likes this.
  8. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

Attached Files:

9. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

Cavalier elkhareing USA
    Number 011219 close to bell

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic! That’s a Cavalier, circa late 1940s.

It was marketed as a standard, student level instrument. Elkhart, Indiana was a huge factory town that produced clarinets for like a hundred years - the main American production city.

You see these on eBay for around $50. Restored you might clear $130-$150, with a well done professional restoration.

Probably not worth the cost to restore.

Many people make these into lamps - get a bulb socket and stick it on top, string a wire through, and you’ve got yourself a neat lamp and conversation piece

masterswimmer likes this.
  11. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

Awesome thank you for the information man it took hrs to clean that thing .I will add it to my cool finds.

Tlberg likes this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It's not always about the money - more valuable is the journey, in my opinion :)

Wilddavy and Kevin Mader like this.
  13. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

Yes I agree 100%

Kevin Mader and hotwheelsearl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted