Warrant issued for man trying to pay w/ pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pocket Change, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Another "guy trying to pay with pennies".

This is a bit different - only $52 worth and they issued a warrant for his arrest because he tried to do this!

Finally, the guy's name is Frank and he's on the east coast.

Ok, I can think of at least a couple suspects on this board.....

This is a video, not a news article:
    http://www.yahoo.com/s/1002872

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

okay

It ain't me.

[I hope that they buy that!].

But, I wish that I had done it!

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Centless Idea!
    but funny
    he should have tried the Prez Dollar's

5. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Neatly rolled in boxes from the bank is what I see.
    It's not like someone had to hand count them.

Way to go Frank!

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

If I worked there, I would encourage people to pay in pennies. So I could search through them and pull out all the pre-1982 and wheats.

7. Topher

Topher New Member

LOL. You were my first guess!

8. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

I believe a private business can refuse payment in any form but a gov't agency! I really don't know his point but boxes of bank rolled cents doesn't seem at all the hassle as loose! When the court says they have to except legal tender payment he should unroll them prior to paying LOL.

9. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Frivalous!

Clinbker

10. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Did you move from Long Island to NJ Frank?

11. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Bloomfield and Nutley are right next to me! Awesome.

12. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I say that the man has a right to pay with coins if he so desires. Whats the big deal, the clerk probably has 5 people sitting on their hands doing nothing anyways.

13. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Sounds like the story of my old Landlord when I rented a place after moving to Jefferson County (which is near my home town) due a transfer to a new Office! Note: My old Landlord is a transplanted Italian from New Jersey that is disgusted with and who loves to antagonize the local (Good Old Boy) as well as the State Judiciary due to what he thinks are injustices they have afforded him.

In 1995, my old Landlord sued a local Motorcycle Repair Shop to get his' late 50's or early 60's Harley (don't remember what they call it but it is one of the most sought after one's out there) back. See, the Repair Shop did a lot of unauthorized repairs on the motorcycle, botched the original repairs that were requested and wanted somewhere around $14,000 in cash before they would return the motorcycle to it's owner (my Landlord). He, Tony (short for Antonio) had them dead to rights for botching the original repairs, making unauthorized repairs (which severely effected the value of this highly collectible and highly sought after Harley) and for overcharging on the repairs. Well, Tony (because of his previous antagonizing as well as doing the same during the Court Trial) ended up being hit with a Judgement of around $17,000 which had to be paid to the Repair Shop in cash. Tony, with the approval of the Court and with a Sheriff's Deputy as witness, paid the repair shop in Lincoln Cents that he had collected from practically all of the Banks here in East Tennessee. The Lincoln Cents were delivered in 5 Gallon buckets which were hauled in Tony's old 60's Ford F-100 Pickup Truck. The Repair Shop emplyees were required to count out the entire $17,000 payment in front of the Sheriff's Deputy which took about 10 hours to do so. Well in the end, the Repair Shop employees mis-counted and Tony ended up with over $1,100 in Lincoln Cents back (even though the buckets contained exactly $17,000 face of Lincoln Cents) and getting his' Harley back. Although Tony was in the right, his attitude and actions caused him to suffer the Judgement but because he came out with over $1,100 back on a $17,000 Judgement and got his' Harley back, Tony in his distorted way of thinking, thinks that he got the better of them! I just wish that I had been able to make a video of the entire process in and out of Court, just so everyone here could see the antics that Tony and his wife (a former Legal Secretary) pulled during the entire Court proceedings but will leave you with this: Tony and his wife would file an answer to the Judge's questions for clarification in crayon on double lined Kindergarten/First Grade writing/spelling paper. LOL!

Frank

14. haidee

haidee Senior Member

hhmm, never run out of this sort of things huh :)

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm surprised they don't have to legally accept them. I would expect they would have to. But, IMHO this is just a punk kid trying to cause trouble. He got the rolled cents solely to be an annoyance. He's mad he got a ticket and wanted to be as big of a pain as he could while paying it.

16. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Absolutely. He also purposely went to the bank to buy pennies. It's not like he had them at home. I'm sure when the court refused them the first thing he did was call the media. He got caught speeding; just pay for your ticket like any normal person would. Hope he gets another ticket.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I would have to look it up to be sure, Conder probably knows, but I believe there are still laws on the books regarding $ amounts of coins that are legal tender. For example, I think it's something like 25 cents for cents, 50 cents for nickels and so on.

And most people don't realize it, but if my memory is correct the cent was not even legal tender until 1965.

18. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

If this were canada IMHO if I got the ticket I would pay them in half pennys. :D

19. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I agree that there's a bit of publicity seeking here or quite likely, there's a story behind the story.

Maybe the guy is messing with someone's wife at that office or he sold someone a lemon car or he calls the cops when the neighbor kids steal apples from his backyard tree.

20. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I saw the story on the news this morning. In the end they were told by a higher-up they had to take the cents, but the guy was required to write his drivers license number on each roll.

21. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

You can buy a house with pennies if you want, they are legal tender per the 1964 coinage act. Now, you can choose not to accept them as payment, but you need to post this visibly. Since the counrt visibly posted cash accepted, they have to take them.

I have no sympathy, Bloomfield is famous for being VERY aggressive with their traffic and parking enforcement. If they want to tax drivers for no reason, to heck with em.

Draft saved Draft deleted