Warning:NUDITY. Viewer discretion is advised.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Now I have your attention. I’m smiling imagining the moderators squad of CT watching if the rules of decency have been broken here. But let’s be frank; we are going to talk about flesh, skin and nudity....in roman coinage...

My wife keeps telling me for 25 years, when I’m coming out of the shower, Ocat you have the body of a god. Well thank you for the compliment. It made me think of how romans were considering nudity in life. At the opposite of the greeks, for them it was a shame to be naked in public. It was inconceivable for the average citizen of the empire and would have been a social transgression not wearing any clothes. It was a synonym of humiliation and a punishment. For example, convicts and slaves were undressed in public. The poet Ennius (239-169 BC)even wrote that "exposing naked bodies among citizens is the beginning of public disgrace (flagitium). One exception to public nudity was the Therma, though attitudes toward nude bathing also changed over time.

But it’s a whole different story on roman coinage. Somebody once wrote : nudity is the usual « costume » of the gods. The frequent representations of nudity in the Roman imperial coinage are part of an ideological discourse celebrating the success and durability of the Empire. Nudity was in fact acceptable and accepted. It has received little comment, either from ancient authors or scholars of the modern era. The gods and hero are generally represented in nudity, whether it is integral or partially masked by a garment. For example, Jupiter, Neptune ,Hercules and Mars are often half or bare naked on many coins. Meanwhile, the deities and feminine allegories never appear totally naked, and rarely partially undressed. Venus is naturally the goddess who reveals its most charms, especially when it is in its victorious dimension.

If you do a quick research on acsearch, you will be able to find hundreds of nice examples on Roman imperial coinage.
    1E8458CA-C103-401E-9941-F28561079956.jpeg
    6F91B1BE-A52C-42F5-BF7F-8EA999A8A75D.jpeg
    Here are my 2 examples :
    Maximinus II
    Jupiter naked
    A279FCAB-4ECC-4F89-9225-638DB43FA0E9.jpeg
    Crispus
    Mars half naked
    10C317A0-9026-4E40-8D6E-7CF11F5E399E.jpeg

So now it’s the time to show us coins you’re shy to share with your visitors or you won’t dare to expose to your kids. Show us some nudity!
    P.S. My wife just saw my post and forced me to make a precision about her comment on my god’s body : it seems that she was more referring to Buddha than to Apollo...:(

Obone, Magnus87, robinjojo and 41 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Buddha or Apollo, a God is still a God @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ;)

Here is my naked Genius:

Maximianus
    297-298 AD
    AE Follis
    Obverse: IMP CMA MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, laureate head right Reverse: GENIO POPV-L-I ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder (falls low), holding patera from which liquid flows and cornucopiae. Mintmark: HTA
    Maximanius 297-298 AD Mintmark HTA.jpg

[​IMG]

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[​IMG]
    MYSIA, Kisthene
    Orontes, satrap of Mysia, c. 357-352 BCE
    AR Half Siglos or Tetrobol; 13 mm, 2.75 gm
    Obv: Nude hoplite crouching left behind shield, spear at ready
    Rev: Forepart of winged boar right
    Ref: Troxell, Orontes 4; SNG France 1164A (Lampsakos); SNG von Aulock
    Very rare.
    ex X6 Collection

AntigonosIIIDosonTet-RT.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Antigonos III Doson, 229-221 BCE
    struck 227-225 BCE, Amphipolis mint?
    AR tetradrachm, 32 mm, 17.1 gm
    Obv: wreathed head of Poseidon right
    Rev: Apollo seated left on prow left, holding bow; monogram below.
    Ref: Panagopoulou 50–3 var. (unlisted dies); EHC 436; Touratsoglou 52–3; SNG Saroglos 933; SNG Alpha Bank 1046; SNG Ashmolean 3266

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Nikopolis ad Istrum. Elagabalus
    AE 18 mm, 2.8 gm
    Obv: AVT K M AVP ANTΩNINOC, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev: NIKOΠOΛITΩ NΠPOCICTPO N, Priapus standing left, drawing back his cloak to expose his phallus, bowl of fruit balanced on phallus, right hand extended pouring from patera
    Ref: Varbanov 3811, AMNG 2022 (I own neither of those references and cannot verify the numbers)

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Nikopolis ad Istrum
    Julia Domna, Augusta

AE 22 mm, 4.5 gm
    Obv: IOVΛIA ΔOMNA CEBAC; draped bust right
    Rev: NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC ICT; ithyphallic Priapus standing right
    Ref: Varbanov 2858

Herakles is often depicted nude. You'd think he'd want to protect his dangly bits while wrestling lions...

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Wow @TIF, that is quite the bowl of fruit.... o_0

6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

This thread is just pure....

giphy-1.gif

I was hoping to see some secret photos of Eva Longoria striping, but all I got were some coin photos instead.

giphy-2.gif

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Constantine I 24.jpg
    CONSTANTINE I
    AE3
    OBVERSE: CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: SOL INVICTO COMITI, Sol, radiate, standing left, raising right hand, globe in left, chlamys across shoulder
    Struck at Trier 313-15 AD
    3.78 g, 18-19 mm
    RIC VII Trier 42

8. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

No spintriae yet?

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here you go:

Capture.JPG

Here's a nude dude and Mionnet's description of him "Figure nue" (nude figure):

Gordian III Anchialus athlete with palm and wreath.jpg
    Gordian III Anchialus athlete with palm and wreath Mionnet listing.JPG

And here's Jove letting it all hang out on this not-exactly-fine-style antoninianus of Gallienus:

Gallienus IOVI VLTORI RIC 53.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

“At noon I observed a bevy of nude young native women bathing in the sea, and I went and sat down on there clothes to keep them from being stolen.”

Mark Twain

Cucumbor, panzerman, Kasia and 4 others like this.
  12. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

warning : the following photos are X rated and may not be suitable for children .

3LwB9a6Sr8K65WgkoeN2A7d89yBqC4.jpg 5kDEcQ9mR3y6N2Xx4bJFSe8r7BapqT.jpg 5wCXknY7W3Zqc9R2M9JeTTj46gEHm8.jpg 6KrWmf2NiTy7Da5d3Qzz79Wt4wqLR8.jpg 9Eyefr2P3bDjwYa5Z8JftFF7yB4gkg.jpg 10augustusLG.jpg 10568.jpg 1969848l.jpg lexiLG.jpg Z6654.jpg

13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Being a lover, literally, of the human form of course when I first started collecting I had to have a few coins celebrating the beauty of the body. I was not surprised that featuring the nude human form were more expensive... It was how much more that did surprise me!
    But, to quote Homer (Simpson), "The human wang is a beautiful thang."

6E7B5B64-DCBF-42B9-85D6-9849B846C7BB.png E0189E0C-B755-4B20-9A2B-77923161FBA9.jpeg ABCD4DE1-7E40-46AA-8B02-D96605EC6E98.png AD2042D8-CB92-4EAC-8874-16860ABDDC98.png 8EF3538B-AD7E-4FFA-B1CA-68AF7E025C50.png F85B9575-C80D-4803-87DC-5A76F6C45ACC.png F0709F80-E9BB-4FCE-9688-3F66481589B0.png

14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

4 pack and a couple grapes...

MaxNew_Small.jpg

15. Sallent

Alright, I'm caving in to mob pressure. Here's a nude Sol. If you look at it under magnification, his family jewels are kind of weirdly misshapen.

3mtDqB6i8xLKmJo49tJSeFf27pkTP5.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    robinjojo, Curtisimo, BRandM and 15 others like this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That second coin is particularly boldly detailed...

This point is explicitly expressed in one of Michelangelo’s (?) sculptures in the Hall of the 500 in Florence.

E7C578B2-5499-49A2-A1E9-C05F88EE924F.jpeg 203B4149-F9AB-45FE-8E6E-063D2C5B2660.jpeg

Cucumbor, panzerman, TIF and 9 others like this.
  17. Sallent

Reminds me of Olympic Pankration. Everything was allowed except for eye gouging and bitting. You could kick your opponent, choke them, hit them, break bones, etc. Even kick them in the genitals or grab and pull the genitals.

downloadfile-4.jpg
    e2b6f927849cc7677a9bb6ae9e305a52.jpg

In fact, the sport was so dangerous that deaths were not unheard of, so Olympic judges started to award the victory to athletes who died as a way to discourage an athlete from purposefully killing his opponent.

18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Hrm, it seems this thread is pretty popular... :rolleyes:

Here's my entry into the Most Well Endowed Non-Priapus competition:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.18.16 PM.jpg
    (If I were Genius I would keep an eye on that eagle... :wideyed:)

Hercules wanted in too, so here he is (Genius has him beat though, pah!):
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.16.37 PM.jpg

I hadn't noticed (really, truly!) how rarely the women disrobe compared to the men, except for Virtus (a little bit) and Venus. Here's Aurora though:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.12.24 PM.jpg

And the 3 Graces are not shy:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.19.54 PM.jpg

Personally I do not disrobe on coins, though you can see I'm OK with showing my top half and a little gluteus maximus here:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.09.52 PM.jpg

19. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Thanks for your participation in this thread. I’m once again impress about the aesthetic quality of so many coins here. I would just like to share what I think in my humble opinion is the sexiest coin of all time. I choose to present it in gold, it’s even more magnificent. And of course it’s not mine.
    Julia Domna aureus
    VENERI VICTR
    Venus half nude and seen from behind, with her drapery folded underneath her
    235007D7-01D7-4279-96AC-7DA548A31EF8.png

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

"Venus seminuda":

Domna VENERI VICTR Sestertius.jpg Domna VENERI VICTRICI Sestertius Sulzer listing.JPG

Note: Sulzer, likely working with a worn, off-flan, or illegible reverse, mistakenly read "VICTRICI" for the abbreviated "VICTR" on the coin.

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted