Warning from NGC.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ldhair, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Spoofing Alert: Fake Email from an NGC Address It has come to our attention that many NGC members recently received an email purportedly from an “Alisha Hornsby” at NGC. This is not an authentic NGC email, and no such person is or has been employed by NGC. If you received this email, please do not reply to it.

It does not appear that any of our records have been compromised. This is an email where someone “spoofed,” or copied, an NGC email address to make it appear that the email was sent by NGC. Again, this email was not sent by NGC, and we are currently investigating its source.

As a reminder, NGC and its independent affiliates, which include NCS, PMG, CGC, CCS and ASG, will never ask you for your credit card number or password by email.

If you have any questions, please contact NGC Customer Service at service@NGCcoin.com or 941-360-3990.

Sincerely,
    NGC

rickmp likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Thank for posting this.

If “It does not appear that any of our records have been compromised,” how did they get the email addresses of NGC customers?

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

My first guess would be the NGC Coin Forum.

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Maybe they are sending the email blindly to those on an email list they bought hoping that some of them are NGC customers and might bite. Other scammers/phishers do that. I get that type of email every day, appearing to be from banks and credit cards that I have never done business with.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I’ll only add this. In the last two weeks three of the vendors I do a lot of business with have been hacked by ransom thieves. They get in via an unscrupulously misidentified email and lock up systems and records in return for a paid ransom. My IT guy tells me this is currently extremely rampant. So as the broken record goes.... Do not open emails you aren’t 100% sure are legitimate.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Same here.

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Likely. This happened several years ago to PCGS's discussion board members. E-mail addresses that were publicly available on profile pages were harvested. Some members complained about a dubious message on the board, at which time the pattern revealed itself.

9. hchcoin

hchcoin Active Member

About a month ago we had 7 employees get their direct deposits changed within our HR system from a hacker and the money was re-routed electronically to prepaid credit cards that were not traceable. I would agree with @Randy Abercrombie about how rampant this is right now. The way they hacked our system was amazing but also deeply troubling. Stay alert.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

This morning, I was sent two e-mails, identical to each other. I'm getting $15K from each of them! All I have to do is give them my bank account and it'll be all set....

:wacky::greedy::wacky::greedy:

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Currency Quest

Currency Quest New Member

NGC Customer Service:

In case it is any help, you should know that the email address to which my copy of the message was delivered was one other than those in possession of NGC either in relation to my dealer registration or the Dealer Locator. That would indicate that any compromise of NGC's data is not likely a factor in my case.

By the way, we virtually never access CoinTalk. I discovered this notice only because of my Google search precipitated by my followup to the spoof message I received. Perhaps an alternate form of communication to NGC Authorized Dealers and clients in addition to CoinTalk would be advisable.

Thanks,

George Schweighofer, Mgr.
    Currency Quest

Draft saved Draft deleted