WARNING: FedEx Damaging E-mails

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Jul 19, 2022.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I've gotten 2 or 3 recently.
    The gist of the e-mail is that FedEx tried to deliver but no one was home to sign for the package.
    I checked with the FedEx site and they know about these messages.

Apparently if you continue on with the message (i.e., more than just open the e-mail) there is a virus attached.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Yeah. I get the one that says Amazon tried to deliver. But my wife has the Amazon subscription, not me. Scammers everywhere

Inspector43 and CygnusCC like this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

If you get a general email, and move your mouse over one of the links, you need to look in your status bar of the Real website it is related to.

For years hackers have been sending "phishing" emails to get ppl to log in to fake copied website (ie, they copy a website such as FedEx and have you try to log in to it to get your login id & password). It's more common with Amazon (so they can buy things) and bank emails.

Lately there's been a ton of Home Depot junk too.

Muzyck and Inspector43 like this.
  5. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Apparently, some shippers have had their computer systems hacked. When the shipper sends something FedEx, the hackers get the info including address, email and phone number of the intended recipient. The hackers can then send realistic emails or texts that seen valid because the intended recipient really is expecting a shipment from the specific shipper.

I've gotten a couple of fake texts via this method stating some additional money is needed to finish the shipment. There is always something not right in the URL of the email or the URL the message in the email or text that it wants you to click. If it's not fedex.com or www.fedex.com exactly, beware. If you click on the link (try not to!), and you're asked for a credit card number, social security number or bank account number, it's probably a phishing attempt.

Cal

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yeah every day phone calls mostly scams on the land line as well Mobil.
    Oh they want to buy the house... this one girl leaves messages about buying our home...and you think it was your daughter or neice talking to you..... I told her do not call again... the message is like 10 minuites long.... unbelievable!
    As far as UPS goes I just got off the phone making sure that the pkg. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow is left on the porch...we have signed electronicly and wont answer our door for no one.... not going to leave the pkg.... send it back and you can explain to the company your reason, we have all deliveries this way...plus there's a cam watcning everything 360 degrees...

tommyc03 and Inspector43 like this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Paddy54 Likewise here. Four outdoor hardwired cams and one in the kitchen facing kitchen door. All the hardwiring was done with wires inside metal electrical conduit.

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

FedEx sites. I walked to my mailbox to retrieve our mail. At the box on the ground/street was a large box that appeared to have fallen off a truck. So when my mail person came by I asked her. She told me it was not USPS, that it was FedX. So I called to try FedX to come and get it several times. No luck. So I had a delivery several weeks about seven weeks later and it was from FedX. The guy said he would deliver it.

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

My policy is to avoid opening any links in an unexpected email.

Maxfli and Paddy54 like this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well a dog carries a lot of weight...two dogs barking in stereo make the possible intruders take a second thought.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’ve gotten one of those emails when I didn’t order anything. The email was sent to automatic delete. I keep getting an email from a bank I’ve never done business with that’s in my area about my account. It goes to the same place.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I got an unexpected text "from FedEx" with a validation code and an 800 number this evening. Fortunately, I remembered that FedEx was supposed to deliver a new phone tomorrow to my son, whose old phone died. He obviously can't get texts, so he gave them my number when he was setting up the delivery instructions. I sent him the code, and it's all sorted now -- but that's the only time I can think of when an unexpected message purportedly from FedEx turned out to be legit!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

There are so many scams out there now that it's scary. I usually look at the originating email address (hover over the address and should show you the true email address it originated from) to see if it is real.
    Now they are using ACE Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes to phish for your personal information.
    I report each one to the company that the email pretends to be from, so they can deal with it. Simply search for Report Scam and the company name and they have a department to deal with them.

14. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This. Be suspicious of everything.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I got two today to pick up my "Iphone 13." They didn't even type iPhone right.

16. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

I laugh at the ones that say someone tried logging into my Facebook account from a new source, was this you, yes or no. I don't even have a Facebook account.

tommyc03, eddiespin and -jeffB like this.
  17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I got the same emails a month or so back, several a day in fact, forwarded them all to FedX and after forwarding about 5 in a row, I all of a sudden quit getting them.

Draft saved Draft deleted