War nickel success?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Wheatie44, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Wheatie44

Wheatie44 Active Member

i have heard of one war nickel per box of nickels, but what is everyone's average?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Well, that's my average... just about on the nose... when the month of July ends, I'll update with more exact totals.

Wheatie44 likes this.
  4. Wheatie44

Wheatie44 Active Member

Thanks John, you seem to be one of the few members on here with true common sense, and really care lol

John77 likes this.
  5. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wheatie!

We've all been newbies at one time. Glad to be able to help!

6. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Or he's the only other nickel roll hunter on the planet! ;)

John77 likes this.
  7. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

LOL... That would make our lives easier...

bdunnse likes this.
  8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Avg is about one per box but I have found as many as seven in a box, but one time I found 13 Buffaloes in a box.

John77 likes this.
  9. brandon08967

brandon08967 Young Collector

I've averaged a total of 0 per box. It's sad because I find more buffaloes than war nickels

10. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

That is weird... what are your totals so far? I've found 32 War Nickels and 11 Buffalos in around 34 boxes worth to date.

11. brandon08967

My guess is the bank I go to takes silver out of their rolls (BoA), which is really annoying if I'm searching anything other than pennies

12. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

I've had horrible experiences with BofA all the way around. Tellers, bank policies, you name it!!! Also, my local branch has been getting nothing but brand new Nickels and Cents for 3 months straight!

13. Pap4tinker

Pap4tinker Active Member

BoA is on my crap list.

chascat and John77 like this.
  14. brandon08967

The tellers at my branch are nice enough, it's just the coins they get suck.

John77 likes this.
  15. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I have the worst of both worlds at mine... the other day when I went in, the two tellers I did like weren't there.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Very few tellers at Bank of America have the time to search out the silver. The pace gives them very little time to play.

17. brandon08967

I don't think it's the tellers searching for the silver, I think its the company that rolls the coins

18. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

At one of my branches, the tellers look through the CWRs of Half Dollars brought in for silver. As for BofA, it's like pulling teeth to get them to take rolls of Half Dollars in my experience.

19. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

about 3 years ago I kept count for that year. Average 3 war silver per 4 boxes.(less than 1 per box) and 1 buf per 10 boxes. never found a V

20. steve63

steve63 Active Member

I've been searching about 50 rolls per month for the past eight months and I've found 22 war nickels so far. So that's 22 nickels in 400 rolls. Compare that to dimes (I found 3 silver dimes in same period, and zero silver quarters). So while I wouldn't say war nickels are plentiful out there, they are by far the best source of silver in circulation right now.

Wheatie44 likes this.
  21. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I would take a knee and bow if all my bank could get was boxes of new coinage for three months!

That stuff brings big money! A couple of war nickels can't hold a candle to them from a dealer's point of view.

It's like found money, almost, with just time, capital and postage involved in the cost and very little down risk.

I know, I know.....roll searchers aren't doing it for the income.....

Draft saved Draft deleted