War Nickel Dump

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rodney Cole, Mar 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rodney Cole

Rodney Cole I do not keep foreign coins.

I horded cat food while everyone else was getting TP.

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rodney Cole

I remember a year or so ago coming across a couple of ads on Craigslist wanting to trade silver for lead at cost. I almost responded to one of whom was close but decided not to go down that road.

Razz likes this.
  4. Rodney Cole

Thank you verrrrry much

Attached Files:

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

everything is 'gradable' the question is whether it is worth having them slabbed.

Rodney Cole and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Nice haul. Why are the Mercury dimes marked with a "W"?

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The designer's initial

Adolph Weinman

You should buy a Red Book "The Guide Book to US Coins.

More info there than you can imagine.

Rodney Cole likes this.
  8. Inspector43

Thanks, I knew that and was asking the OP.

9. Rodney Cole

I don't sell my coins but it is just a reference to the quality of them. I will probably never slab anything.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Inspector43

I agree. My coins are very presentable and have nice eye appeal to me. I have never had one put in a slab and don't intend to sell any of them. I guess I'm too old for that now. But, if you plan on selling, trading or insuring, then, it would be a good idea.

11. Rodney Cole

The W really is just for my reference to clarity of the initials, I will also go back and put the clarity of the bands, steps, mint mark and over all condition of the coins so i can file them away. I usually do them in batches of 50. When I took that picture I had just started labeling them. They will only be in those holders for a week or so then they will go in to tubes according to the info. I have over 4 million coins (not sure of the exact count), storing them this way is more efficient for me and I can always locate them at a later time down to the exact specs. All I have to do is go to the appropriate drawer. I couldn't imagine trying to put them all in albums or individual holders. My room is only 12' x 12' so space is sort of limited.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Well, I almost know how you feel. I have been collecting for 72 years and think I have every coin I have ever touched (not really, but a bunch).

Rodney Cole likes this.
  13. Rodney Cole

I actually stopped buying those back in the 90's. 1998 actually
    I've only been at it for about 25 and I realized some time ago that I will never own an example of every coin although I still get excited when I find something roll hunting even if I already have one. So many people get angry that I don't sell any of my collection but in my world collecting and flipping is two different things.

14. Rodney Cole

They are inventoried and insured but like the appraiser told me I could have them professionally graded and the value would be more but at two million coins or so he said that would be ludicrous. If every one of them was worth .05¢ the collection is worth over $300,000.00. Insurance isn't as cheap as it used to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted