Wanted: Flan Flaw Experts

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Macromius, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Macromius

Macromius Well-Known Member

I have this large Hadrian/Nilus AE Drachm which I bought from a highly reputable seller in Israel. Many of you would recognize his name. The coin originally had a sand patina which rubbed right off. I gave it a further light cleaning in a diluted sodium sesquicarbonate solution and the patina completely came off in 10 minutes (record time) which leads me to believe it was not original. A lot of flan flaws that were initially not obvious were revealed.

I'm curious about the areas I've numbered. No. 1 is indented and the area below it, No. 2, is raised and looks like it could have been part of No. 1. No. 5 looks smeared or crushed in some way. An odd coin. Does anyone have some ideas or opinions? Does it look authentic to you? Images enlarge greatly.Thanks in advance.
    IMGP4611.jpg IMGP4611A.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but it looks like a cool, authentic, old bronze Hadrian provincial to me.

Andres2 and Macromius like this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I agree about the "originality." I'm not going to comment on the authenticity of this piece. IMO, everything you have described is normal. IMO:

At one time #1 and #2 were the same on the rim. Then #1 became corroded and it's surface is now below it's original level as struck (#2). You forgot to post about #4. Area #5 just looks corroded. I like the crack in the planchet.

What can be learned from this? Ancient coins are vastly different due to style, grade, and problems. I'll bet in most cases when we buy a coin we :joyful: like the way it looks. Unless you are willing to destroy the value and appearance :( of a coin you like, it is best not to fool with them UNTIL you have the experience and knowledge to actually improve them. :stop: I'll bet that "before" the OP's efforts, this coin was a lot more attractive!

EDIT: Thanks @ominus1 I forgot to post that "I'm no expert but I'm going to post an opinion."

ominus1 and Macromius like this.
  5. Macromius

You might be right, but I think I bought a retouched coin. Is the seller at fault? Not necessarily. Did my efforts improve the look of the coin? Definitely no, but it revealed the flaws that were perhaps purposely obscured. Still, I appreciate your input.

Insider likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree, but I wouldn't be pleased about the fake patina. Depending on the price you paid and if you like it as it is now, I would return it on principle.

Curtisimo, Nerva, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  7. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

problem is there always problems with coins, they getting older and older,
    and goes in hundred years in collections

Macromius likes this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Bing, posted: "I agree, but I wouldn't be pleased about the fake patina. Depending on the price you paid and if you like it as it is now, I would return it on principle."

:rolleyes: I really don't think that would work. If I were the dealer, unless I didn't wish to lose a big and frequent $$$$ customer, I'd tell him to go pound sand!! :rage: This is not the attractive coin I sold.

Let's see I buy an attractive rainbow toned dollar form you @Bing, dip it to "hairlined gray" and then wish to return it...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.

Roman Collector likes this.
  9. Macromius

Good advice Bing.

10. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

coin is 1oo% original, but, my opinion, patina is fake..

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Do you have the seller's photo of it in its "original" condition?

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Your definition of 'highly reputable' is considerably different than mine. Those who sell 'improved' coins without proper notation deserve a reputation but not one that could be considered high.

Curtisimo, Nerva, Oldhoopster and 2 others like this.
  13. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Something about the obverse of this coin bothers me, and I would ask someone with real expertise (which I don't have) to comment on this.

The circled area below is a very different color from the rest of the coin; it resembles coins with defects that have been filled with epoxy -- I have seen these illustrated from time to time:

Circled area.jpg

Could this coin have patched/filled?

Curtisimo and Deacon Ray like this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I can't add any true expertise here, but have a fair number of drachms of Hadrian from Alexandria, and can speak to how some may look slightly 'odd' as a result of any combination of manufacture, wear, corrosion, or how they were 'conserved' by previous generations of collectors. I personally wouldn't be bothered by what I see on your coin even though I'd be interested in seeing those 'Before' pictures too.

Here are two of mine also with a Nilus reverse but looking quite different from each other.

20C19095-C832-4879-913E-6839A4377DC1.jpeg
    8A76951F-4790-498D-A0CC-2CA614D62ADC.jpeg

15. Macromius

No, this forum rates this seller as highly reputable, not just me. Couldn't the best of us buy an improved coin without knowing by mistake? Sellers too.

Thanks for the replies guys...not at all what I expected but I still appreciate it.

Curtisimo, Deacon Ray and ominus1 like this.
  16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Who on this forum rates sellers that doctor their coins as highly reputable? Not I. I think your coin is genuine, and as Zumbly says, Egyptian tets can take on some pretty funky fabrics for any number of reasons. You should be aware that many Israeli dealers add fake patinas to their coins and think nothing of it. They consider it an "aesthetic." Caveat emptor.

Curtisimo and Macromius like this.
  17. Macromius

Who says the seller doctored the coin? Who knows if I'm even right? Only looking for info nothing else.

18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Adding a fake patina is doctoring in my book. Perhaps we have different definitions?

19. Macromius

Thanks again for the opinions. I'm still specifically interested in what you guys think about the flan flaws.

20. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Interesting post, @Macromius ! I tracked down your coin and I know the dealer. I'm not defending him but IMO the Israeli dealer may have acquired the coin from someone who purchased it from a dealer who's name begins with "Z" and is NOT ZUZIM. ;)

Curtisimo, Macromius and ominus1 like this.
  21. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Maybe the seller purchased the coin and then sold the coin in the same condition as when purchased? Maybe the seller doctored the coin? I do not know what the coin looked like when sold to you, but as is I like it.

Deacon Ray, Macromius and ominus1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted