Wanted: A Monthly Price List for FRN's

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by kanga, Jul 5, 2015.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I'm working on a collection of small-size US $1 currency.
    I say FRN's but I really would like to go back to the beginning (1928).
    I would like to subscribe to some sort of monthly catalog of prices for these items.
    Retail prices would be fine.
    But I need it to be complete, i.e., include the experimentals, mules, errors and things like that.
    CDN (green sheet?) doesn't bother with the recent material.
    Coin World takes months to cycle through its pricing.
    Azpiazu"s book is already 5+ years old.
    And I have the 10th edition of the kp guide which I'd at best equate to the Red Book.

What else is out there?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

When you say, you're working on a collection of small size US currency, does this indicate that you're currently buying, currently selling, or somewhere in between ?

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Buying.
    And for the FRN's, in CU.
    With some research I've definitely found eBay listings to be VERY overpriced.

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Price guides are just that, guides, and I know of not one that shows the detail you are looking for, especially error notes. Your research, or anybodies research for that matter, should be from recent prices realized.......and if you think eBay is expensive, then Heritage, Stacks-Bowers, and most other auction houses have buyers premiums starting at 17% on top of your winning bid. You may want to search online dealer inventories and develop relationships within the currency community. Quality, Choice Uncirculated FRN's are super hard to find in the wild, and building a worth while collection takes patience, networking skills, and a little bit of being at the right place at the right time. Don't put too much stock in price guides.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Probably the best advice.
    I'll see what I can do in two weeks at the Baltimore Whitman show.

Draft saved Draft deleted