Want your opinion: Are these proofs?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rooman9, Oct 29, 2016.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I picked these up a while ago but I have been unsure since I got them whether they are proofs or not. Here's my reasons for thinking they're proof and not proof.
    Proof: They all have a solid strike and quite a few coins have squared rims. They all have a fingerprint on the obverse side, which is common for proofs that used to be in the presentation boxes.
    Not Proof: They don't have that proof shine I'm used to seeing. But I also know australian proofs have some that are more matte and flat then others.
    So I just want your opinion. Sorry the photos are in plastic.
    -1.jpg -2.jpg -3.jpg -4.jpg -5.jpg -6.jpg -7.jpg -8.jpg -9.jpg -10.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

Here's a pic of them all in the package and another of my proofs to compare these to.
    -11.jpg -12.jpg threepenceproof.jpg

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

For your sake, I hope they are...

I'm guessing probably not. I had some New Zealand Half Crowns and Florins that I thought were proofs, too. They look just like yours, if your photos are accurate to life. One of mine looks a lot more "proof" than yours, but it is not...

Seattlite86 and rooman9 like this.
  5. rooman9

I'm afraid you're right. The Florin and sixpence look a lot more like proofs then the other two. I've just been hoping that they all were. But I think they're just a nice MS set.

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Overall, they seem to not be proofs to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted