Want to Watch Them Mint Coins in 1907?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, Jul 22, 2019.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Turn the sound to mute, because it is a genuinely aweful modern noise-track... but this is an original silent film from 1907 showing the minting process at this time. An absolutely fascinating glimpse into history!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Very cool. And you weren’t kidding, that soundtrack was awful.

eddiespin likes this.
  4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

That was great! I love all the old analog scales and scientific instruments, and all the manual labor with no PPE :dead:

Horrible sound track. I muted it and whistled the Little Rascals theme music while I watched.

Thanks for posting!

eddiespin likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Shucks! I got an error message and couldn't watch it. I guess I'll just have to rely on Roger Burdette's book.

Chris

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I wish I could tell what coins they showed at the end.

8. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

industrial funkadelic music rite on man! that was great !

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Couldn't tell, but they do not appear to be US coins. Appear to have a continuous wreath around a two or three line inscription. Almost like the rev of a Canadian large cent.

mikenoodle and LakeEffect like this.
  10. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

You have a good eye. It made me track down the video on YouTube and saw this in the comments (can't vouch for its accuracy)

KansaiSamurai1 year ago
    This film is actually from 1920. The full length version shows dies for a 1920 Canadian large cent, the last year large cents were made in Canada.

ewomack likes this.
  11. mikenoodle

Great catch @Conder101!!!

I was actually thinking Canadian large Cent, but I also thought that the film was US, so I was definitely not sure of anything

12. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

That was awesome!

I do wonder if it really dates to 1907. For some reason it seems a little later than that to me, but I didn't see any dates and the film never displayed a closeup of the coins.

Then I looked at the comments on YouTube and someone posted this: "This film is actually from 1920. The full length version shows dies for a 1920 Canadian large cent, the last year large cents were made in Canada."

So Canadian Large Cent was a fabulous guess! I also want to see "the full length version" now, too. And 1920 seems like a more accurate date.

Edit: Here it is, with better music:

A nice closeup of the dies occurs at 5:41.

LakeEffect and mikenoodle like this.
  13. mikenoodle

Amazing!!!

I was able to watch on my TV. On a nice big screen.

1920 Canada Large Cent is the dies being made.

Props to @Conder101

Draft saved Draft deleted