Want to start collecting again

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by icollectoldmoney, Oct 26, 2017.

1. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

I have been a collector since I was 6 years old sold all my stuff over the last couple years do to my divorce. Was wanting to get back into collecting what is best coins to start with.Or best books to buy or best online pages to join.

Lemme Caution likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

A good place to start is right here at Coin Talk. Check old threads or use the search box up at the right of the page. Sounds like you made it through the big D in good shape. Good for you.

Lemme Caution likes this.
  4. icollectoldmoney

Yeah I did make it through the big D but I lost all my book collection and everything I still am a young collector of only 22 years old haha.

Lemme Caution and spirityoda like this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I went through something similar a couple years back. I'm going to save you lots of money with this tip. Repeat after me: there is no such thing as unsearched rolls.

No matter how tight they're crimped and old they look, there's no such thing. Save your money (I wish I'd have heard that message 5 years ago).

Also, the more you learn, the lower the cost of coin acquisition. Spend some time lurking here before you make any purchases and you'll save yourself a lot of money and headache.

Welcome back to collecting!

6. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

The one thing I wish I had done was spent more time at the beginning looking and less time buying. Through looking I learned the types of coins that I really liked. For example, when I started collecting Morgans (which I like) I bought bright white ones, because that is what predominantly was out there. As I looked more, I saw the circulated Morgans that have a nice even grey patina (like my Avatar coin). I learned that I liked that look and then wished that I had saved my money on some of my initial purchases. Now, over time, I'm gradually selling those first Morgans I bought and replacing them with the circulated look. That also makes my collection as a whole have an even appearance.

Lemme Caution, alurid and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. icollectoldmoney

Where best place in Arkansas to join a club or get coin books

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

When I got back into collecting a few years ago I bought a new RedBook and started looking at the pretty pictures and figured out what really caught my eye.

I then had 2 strategies
    1 - I created a collection that contained most of the different designs of coin. This excludes die cracks, etc. Just the designs. For instance, I have one very nice Morgan dollar. Not a key date, or a CC or anything, I was simply after the design. Then I have half cents, cents, 2 cents, 3 cents, 5 cents, nickels, etc. But I was simply after one nice example of each particular design.

2- I like the designs with Eagles on them (the bird, not the ASE/AGE/APE), so I collected, and still am, all coins that have an eagle design on them. Yes, saving up for those 1oz gold ones too.

9. icollectoldmoney

What is best to invest in first for a young collector like me.

10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

The best to invest is in time to learn. Few people make money off of their collections, so if you're getting into coins for investment purposes, you have a long uphill battle of learning to do.

Kentucky and spirityoda like this.
  11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Knowledge.

Kentucky, fish4uinmd and Seattlite86 like this.
  12. icollectoldmoney

Well what is best loupe to use to and best company to use for collecting supplies

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Loupes/magnifiers are usually poor ( single piece of glass or plastic), sufficient ( achromatic ( 2 or more pieces of glass to reduce distortion ( esp. of colors) often called a doublet)) or best ( apochromatic or Triplets) made of 3 or more pieces of glass to almost eliminate distortion. They may contain LD or ED glass ( Low or extra low dispersion or Lanthanum oxide or other rare earth glass, although some are slightly radioactive, but not a health hazard. Ask an Astronomer or photographer as they pay big bucks for high definition lens.

But that aside, most triplets would provide satisfactory/price ratios. I like and have several of the various powers of the Belomo lenses , Amazon has great prices on them. I use mainly the 7x or 10X, I thought about getting the 20X, but using the 10X takes a very steady hand/eye co-ordination, maybe with my elbows on a solid table for the 20X. Some do not like the product as they are from Belarus.
    https://www.amazon.com/BelOMO-Tripl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=16JSTP6VPAACBQWVNTRA

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

if you are doing it for investment you not get as much enjoyment out of your coins. now if you do it for FUN then you will get so much more out of it. making money on coins takes a long time and money and knowledge. selling coins in the short run for profit is hard to do. you might have to hold onto your coins for 10-30+ years to make a profit. Even then when you go to sell dealers will never pay retail prices ever because they have to make money on the coin you want to sell them. yes yes it all depends on what coin it is...
    #1 thing to me is buy what you like. #2 learn what the value of the coins you want to buy. #3 have FUN doing it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Hi there @icollectoldmoney !

The first essential (assuming you are interested in US coinage) is A guide book of United States coins, better known as The Red Book. This will familiarize you generally with all the US denominations and is an invaluable reference.

Next, I would get a DANSCO 7070 Type Set book. This book will hold a U.S. Type set of coins from 1800. Work on the modern coins first by selecting a series, lets say Lincoln cents - get yourself A Guide Book of Lincoln Cents and read the book before you select your coins for the DANSCO. Then move to another series like Jefferson Nickels, then Roosevelt Dimes, and so on. Buy the book, read the book, look at many coins, buy a coin to fill the DANSCO hole. Working methodically on a DANSCO album alone could take a number of years, but if you follow the path outlined above you would learn a great deal about coins. Eventually, you may find a coin denomination you really like and will want to specialize.

Anyway, just food for thought . . .

Kim Greenwood, wxcoin and SilverMike like this.
  16. icollectoldmoney

anybody got tips on what Coins a guy my age should try to collect I am 22 years old.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Coins that YOU like. Taking suggestions from others is not a good idea. Everyone has something that interests THEM and most will suggest that item to collect. But if it doesn't interest YOU then you will lose interest in collecting it and you will have wasted your time and money, and will be right back where you are right now.

The suggestion (if you are going to do US coins) about the 7070 set is a good one because it exposes you to a lot of different types and you may find one that really draws your interest. Then you can go from there.

Santinidollar and SilverMike like this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

What price range of coins are you thinking of.

19. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Yea sorry nobody is going to give you a straight answer as nobody is inside your head and knows what you like, there is no type of coin in which a specific age group likes for example I'm 14 and I collect everything I can lay my hands on, as others have posted above get a Dansco 7070 album and fill it and during that process you will find what you like. Im still waiting for my parents to budge and let me buy an album :/.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Keyless Chuck likes this.
  20. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

Whatever pleases you. Research your purchases as far as worth and as long as you are buying close to current fair market prices, if you find you are unhappy with something you buy down the road, you can always sell it and redirect the funds. Consider the small loss as having leased a nice coin that gave you pleasure and enjoyment for the period of time that you had it.

21. icollectoldmoney

yeah probably start with a type set and just invest in some good books and build my knowledge back up since I been away from the hobby for a couple years.

Youngcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted