Want to crossover one Anacs coin to PCGS cheaply

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stevereecy, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've used goo-gone on some of my slabs that had sticky residue on it for years, and it hasn't caused any issues to the plastic or coins.

You can use rubbing alcohol to remove sticky as well.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevereecy

stevereecy Collects Everything

Thanks, guys, but my heart is set on crossing it over. First, the plastic is definitely melted...I considered trying to buff it. A second reason I didn't mention...If you look at my photo, you might notice the viewing the coin is like looking through a round tunnel. It sits in there so deep that it's hard to see the edges unless you view the coin straight on. But with toned coins, you usually look at them with an oblique angle, so there's always detail you can't see. Modern slabs are so much better with being able to see the coin's edges. I want to see the entire coin in all it's glory.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I would cross it too, you're much better off with it in a PCGS slab in every aspect from value, being able to see it in better plastic, viewing the edges, protection etc. The old ANACS slabs are highly overrated

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's an interesting strategy; using ANACS as a less-expensive "pre-screen" for coins one eventually intends to send off to PCGS or NGC. In theory, I can see some potential there. I would never do it myself, personally, on the stuff I collect- I wouldn't care for the added expense and hassle. (I find the submissions part of the game tedious.) But for someone who deals with a lot of coins, including ones of potentially high value, I can sort of see how that might work to one's benefit.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Since he is a Morgan dealer there is another advantage for him, ANACS is pretty much top of the line for VAM attributions, more reliable than PCGS or NGC.

7. lordmarcovan

Now it’s my turn to ask a question. I’ll be letting @stevereecy piggyback on my next PCGS crossover submission. There will be four coins: his plus three of mine.

The twist is that mine are from three different categories. One is a World coin, one a World token, and the other a US coin.

Since all of these are crossover, is it possible to put them all on the same invoice, or will the US coin require a separate invoice? I haven’t been over to PCGS to read the fine print just yet, though I will be checking that. I just wonder if anyone knows.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They have to be different. The only time you can ever combine US and world coins on the same invoice is if it’s a joint set with two countries like the Pride of Two Nations ASE set with Canada.

9. lordmarcovan

Bummer. :(

Thanks. I suspected as much.

Maybe I'll pare it down to just one, then.

If anyone's curious, these are my recent NGC acquisitions.

Russia (Siberia): copper 10-kopecks of Catherine the Great, 1781-KM, Suzun mint
    [​IMG]

This one is in an older (pre-prong) NGC holder. The holder has a slight chip, but not bad. I could live with this one staying in the NGC holder.

Australia (Melbourne): copper penny trade token; John Andrew & Co., Drapers, 1862
    [​IMG]

This one is in a prong holder, and that's my biggest beef with NGC. Call me picky, but I do not like the way the white prongs intrude in photographs. I reckon I'll try to cross this one and get TrueViews, or alternately, I suppose I could also just send it to NGC for PhotoVision (their TrueView equivalent) and reholdering. I don't have a problem with the fact that it's NGC, or with the grade, really. It's just those prongs. I'd like better pictures, and the prongs get in the way of that.

United States: bronze proof Indian Head cent, 1881
    [​IMG]

This one is also in an older pre-prong NGC holder, and came with professional photos by Todd Pollock (BluCC). I could certainly live with it in the NGC plastic, but thought I might give it a shot at crossover and TrueViews if I could put it on the same invoice. But since I can't, I reckon I'll just keep it as-is.

So maybe I'll just send my Aussie token and @steverecy's coin in for Crossover and use my other two vouchers for grading.

This raw medieval needs to go in for grading.

German States (Brunswick-Lüneburg): silver bracteate of William Longsword, ca. 1195-1213
    [​IMG]

Sorry if I've strayed a tiny bit from the topic at hand.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So you'll cross it into a PCGS holder with translucent prongs that cover even more of the rim of the coin.

11. lordmarcovan

I personally don’t find the PCGS prongs as intrusive, though they’re still not ideal. I do wish both services would skip prong holders altogether, except for coins with lettered edges.

In any event, if you get a TrueView (or NGC PhotoVision image), you’ll have a picture of the coin without the intrusion of prongs, which is the main point.

Draft saved Draft deleted