Want one of the world's rarities?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dave M, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Selling on eBay right now is a copy of Lebanon P-53, often considered the most beautiful banknote ever printed. That's certainly debatable, but nobody would disagree about it being in the top 5 or so. It was printed in France during it's rule between WWI and WWII.

This one's in pretty good shape, and the current bid is $12K. I'm not bidding, so please don't hold back because of me :) SCWPM doesn't even list a price in any condition at all.

Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

That is a beautiful note!

4. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Really amazing note and one you don't see come up too often.

5. ronterry

ronterry New Member

It's a bit on the gaudy side for my taste. ewwww maybe Top 200?
    BTW: I thought I saw Paul & Ringo in the lower right hand corner?

6. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Ehh, does not do it for me. I rather have a $20 gold certificate from 1922 (Design wise).

7. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I agree... looks more like H.R. Giger artwork to me.

8. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Please God let Prometheus be a good movie!!!

9. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

DaveM.. that would look fantastic in your collection....nice colors and design work.

10. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

That is beautiful but I don't think I'd be able to shell out that kind of money in for one note in my lifetime.

11. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Personally, I think the design is amazing -- but whether you like it or not, it would be very difficult to counterfeit and that's the real intent.

Even more amazing is the fact that he started bidding at 99¢! That takes some cojones.

12. ronterry

ronterry New Member

I know people out there, that's all they do! They bid on hundreds of items everyday with only a starting bid of 99c, hoping to hit pay dirt.

13. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Then it would be my presumption that the nick name "flea-bay" is a propper fit.

14. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

It does take cojones to put an expensive item out with a starting bid of $0.99, but with something like this note, I think the odds of it slipping through un-noticed were essentially zero.

Yes, I'd love to have this in my collection, but with something this expensive it quickly falls in the investment category, rather than the collectible. I don't know of any prior sales of this note, but my guess, only a guess, is that it has appreciated quite well over the last few years. But just imagine a couple better quality versions surface, it could do real damage to the price of this one.

Dave

15. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

In our local market, It's possible to find an XF for around 8K-10K.

There are also "faux d'époque"*examples existe.

That's the reason why this design was not printed again in 1950, with the reprint of the full serie...it's one year type.

* Old early fake currency made for contemporary circulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted