Wanna see a counterfeit $5 Ind in a slab?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dancing Fire, Aug 31, 2015.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I don't know, he just implied #47 was not the eBay coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Ya, not sure about pic in post 47. Never saw one like that on ebay.

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm assuming wrong but I thought his post meant his photo was a zoomed in version of the coin on Ebay? Is this not the same coin in #47?

5. jwitten

I honestly don't know where he got that pic in 47... might be the same coin, but pic looks different.

6. statequarterguy

There was a better pic on ebay that showed the eye like #47 does. Which is why I posted it may be real, yet I still don't like the nose and mouth.

So, that's pennsteve's coin, huh?

7. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I've read a ton of your posts jwitten, I know you know what you're talking about with gold. I also know that when you specialize in a certain area you get a certain feel for how to read pics. I know lighting can make an ms67 washington quaternary look harshly cleaned and an an XF quarter look mint state. It will take an ordinary silver proof washington quarter and make it look like the most convincing DDO on the IN GOD WE TRUST. I can also imagine that gold is probably even harder to photograph than silver, not to mention a coin with incurred design. I'm simply saying, not that it means a hill of beans to anyone, that I would trust your judgment. It's nice to see someone with the confidence you have on such an important coin.

Hommer and jwitten like this.
  8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Well I went and zoomed and cropped the obverse where the whole slab is seen. I didn't want to enhance it in any way so I left it as is but here's the result. (may be what was done for #47)
    1911slabzoom.JPG

9. statequarterguy

That's were I saw it (in the slab)! It does look better there.

Blissskr and jwitten like this.
  10. jwitten

I know that when someone posts a fake dollar, quarter, etc, I do not know either way. Even though I have seen them before, I cannot easily see what others see that makes it an obvious fake. I have looked at enough of some gold coins though that I feel I have a decent eye for them (at least $2 1/2, and some $1 and $5). I will admit I do not know $3 gold well, as I do not collect them.

phankins11 likes this.
  11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Man , I really screwed up on this one . I basically looked at the slab and not the coin . Did everything I usually tell people not to do . My Bad !!!!!

jwitten likes this.
  12. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Best answer!

Fake coin, AND [FAKE] slab.

;)

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Back in 2003 The Merrick mint had fake ICG shells made in China for their overpriced promotional items. When they first appear I questioned ICG about it and they served Merrick with a cease and desist order just a couple days later. Merrick later modified the shell molds a little so they could use them.

Not strictly a fake ICG slab, just fake ICG shells.

rzage likes this.
  14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

So ICG used those slabs , and the ops slab is legit in that ICG issued it , or did I get that wrong ?

15. jwitten

You are correct, this is a real slab, and a real coin

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You guys need to have a drink.......chill brothers, cheers brothers. :)

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Well I'm certainly no expert on these but I do own about a dozen of them and this one looks perfectly legitimate to me. Though the photos are about as bad as mine.

phankins11 and jwitten like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted