Wanna see a counterfeit $5 Ind in a slab?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dancing Fire, Aug 31, 2015.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yeah, at first I considered the lighting, but nah, no way it's the lighting, the details are all wrong. I'd say it's not even a good fake, it's amateurish. I don't even see an eye, just an eye socket where the forehead should be. Kinda looks like a skull, so, it's the "Skull" fake.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I am as novice at other coins as some of you are at gold. I'm telling you, its real.

4. jwitten

Here is another genuine... same lustrous look as the original
    [​IMG]

5. statequarterguy

I would buy that coin with your money!

The seller isn't willing to provide better pics. What's up with that? Ah, because it's not the pics. Study the details I mentioned and imagine different lighting. The details don't improve. Both coins are pics of a Native American, just not the same one.

6. statequarterguy

Hard to tell the luster, as the op coin pic is over exposed. The details are all wrong on the op coin, tells me it's not a cast fake, but a carved die struck fake. Counterfeiters rarely get the details correct, especially the face.

Although the face is the worst, the more I compare the op coin the more many other details look off. The details have to be EXACTLY the same, not just close.

7. jwitten

Eh, I just completely disagree, and I mainly collect gold.

8. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Ok, I went to the ebay ad again and looked at the coin in the slab and when I zoom in I can see the eye. You'd think they would use the same lighting for the close-ups too. slab.png

9. jwitten

The lighting REALLY can effect how these coins look. If you have not had them in hand often, you can think different light makes the coin look differently. The modern 2015 high relief gold is another example. The Liberty's face looks like a skull in some pictures, bloated in other pictures, beautiful in yet others. It is all about how the light plays off the coin.

10. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert at all in these but to me this begs the question who's going to fake an ICG slab? The Designer's initial look incused to me. The only thing i see off, when comparing to photograd is the reverse eye detail, they don't compare at all.

19115indian.jpg

11. jwitten

Does not look off at all to me, just different lighting. You people underestimate how these coins change in different light.

phankins11 likes this.
  12. statequarterguy

Well, the pics have been updated on the ad and on CT, as those are not the pics that were there earlier. I don't know, the nose and mouth still look off. So, is that your coin? Has to be someone on CT, since the pics were updated on eBay and on CT.

13. pennsteve

I just looked at the ebay ad picture. Where is the S? I only see what appears to be a hole where the S should be.

14. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I have no doubt that this 1909 coin is real!...but as for the coin in discussion half of the members see what I see and the half does not. Anyhow, I would not buy the 11-s as a real coin based on the pics posted on Ebay. Maybe my monitor is too cheap to show high quality pics...:shame:

15. jwitten

No, this is not my coin, and I do not see any updated ebay or cointalk pics. There have been several different coins posted on here to compare it to.

16. jwitten

That is the S, and that is the only part of those coins that is not incuse.

17. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

its not fake new icg holder turn translucent when light used

18. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

its not fake new icg holder turn translucent when light used

jwitten likes this.
  19. statequarterguy

Compare the pics in post #35 & #47. First the pic in #35 was on eBay, then #47, now back to #35.

20. pennsteve

Are you reading replies on here? Some of the pictures posted here are not of the coin on ebay.

phankins11 likes this.
  21. statequarterguy

Yeah, I'm reading them and you don't say anything about the coin in your post #47 not being the eBay coin. I'd also say there was a better pic at one time on eBay, as I checked it when you posted your pic.

22. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Both photos he's talking about are of the coin that's on Ebay. The way I enlarged it seemed to work better than however you did it in #47 however.

Draft saved Draft deleted