Wanna see a counterfeit $5 Ind in a slab?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dancing Fire, Aug 31, 2015.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

The way his lighting is set up shows the luster well, but not the details as much. The eye is there, believe me.
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

The B.L.P is raised? It's hard to tell for me at least from the sellers photos but it looks more raised than incuse and I've seen that on some on Ali express fakes.

4. jwitten

It appears incuse on the coin, not raised.

5. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Look at the designer's initials it is raised above the field, plus there are more volcanos on the reverse than are in Indonesia.

Blissskr likes this.
  6. jwitten

They are NOT raised. His lighting shows luster well, but not the details as well. Please highlight the areas you think prove it is a fake. I believe you are wrong.

7. Dancing Fire

Yup, that's what it looks like on my screen.

8. Blissskr

It looks raised to me based off the sellers pictures.

9. jwitten

Well, I guarantee it isn't. Looking at a 2d picture with bad lighting, you cannot tell. The coin is genuine though, I would be willing to put money on it.

10. jwitten

Please point out the areas you think look like volcanoes

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Thats it, and based on a less than ideal photo? May I ask if you have closely examined the lighting used and how it plays off the coin?

I am viewing this on a very small screen, but I'm simply not seeing any beyond a doubt evidence; please point out exactly what concerns you about the reverse.

jwitten likes this.
  12. jwitten

If you notice the lighting... all the highest areas are dark, and the incuse areas are lighter, just like the designers letters.

13. Dancing Fire

there are a lot of bubbles on the field above the word dollar, especially near the letter "D" on the word dollar.

14. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

For comparison, is this one fake? It's in an NGC slab and shows the same lighting effect on the initials. As to the volcanoes, I'm assuming people are talking about tooling marks, raising the metal up?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. jwitten

Again, those appear to be hits or scratches to me, not raised areas. I think the lighting has you confused.

16. Blissskr

@miedbe7, the coin you posted the initials are clearly identifiable as incuse on my screen. I personally wouldn't buy the coin this thread was started about unless I could see it in hand. Not saying it's fake but off the photos I wouldn't buy it.
    1911$5 (1280x1190).jpg

17. jwitten

I just don't see how you can think the initials are raised, and not think the stars, etc, are raised. They are clearly incuse to me.

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I thought this area may have been what concerned you, but I must respectfully disagree; what you are seeing is not "bubbles", but are simply hits. Bubbles, which would be raised, would play off the light differently than is shown here, which indicates that they are incuse. Same goes for the designer's initials.

19. Blissskr

I asked the seller for better photos of the coin and he stated these are the only ones he has available; just in case anyone may have had the same idea.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  20. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I'm no expert on these, but the op coin looks way off. Compare the facial features (eye, cheek, nose, mouth) pic of the op coin (post #35) to the ngc coin (post #33).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  21. jwitten

It is simply the lighting. It is genuine.

Draft saved Draft deleted