Wanna help me pick the next Eclectic Box addition?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 16, 2018.

?

Which would you choose if you were me and had $50-75-ish to spend?

1. A. Roman Republic bronze semis, ca. 211-207 BC @ $77.87

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. B. 1730 Nuremburg silver jeton @ $67.66

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. C. 1842 Hamburg bronze medal @ $72.17

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. D. 2016 Mongolia 1,000 tugrik, PCGS PR69 DCAM @ $59.00

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. E. Keep shopping

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. F. Save the money and go for a bigger purchase later

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  7. G. Use the money to buy several pounds of bacon

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

What to buy with a $50-75-ish budget?

I was all tapped out, coin splurge money spent, a few Christmas gifts left to buy, when suddenly this morning I found a surprise PayPal gift from @dadams, which made my day. I've had fun browsing for $50-75-ish ideas all day. See what you think of these.

A.
    ROMAN REPUBLIC, Anonymous. AE, Semis. 211 - 207 BC. Hispania mint. Saturn / Prow right.
    Cost: €60.00 ($67.71) + 10.16 shipping = $77.87
    4QsSxcW2jM9g5aNRTWc6Zj8GJyw37X.jpg

Pros: it looks great to me. Nice contrasting patina, and I don't have any ancient bronze in my collection currently. Furthermore, I've never owned any Roman Republican bronze. And I've been wanting an ancient with a ship on it.
    Cons: at 20 mm, it's kind of small compared to other Roman Republic bronze denominations, but it's not tiny. The more pressing issue is that slabbing it at NGC would drive the cost over $110-ish, which would likely put me "underwater" in this coin. (Or would it? And does that even matter?)

(The obvious answer you slab-hating ancient collectors will have is, "Just don't slab it, then!", and I hear you, but mine is a slabbed collection- it's one of the few rules I set for myself. So let's not debate that point here, if you don't mind. The question is whether or not this coin is a contender for my slabbed set, given the expenses involved.)

B.
    Nuremberg, city of Jeton (by Dockler) on the 2nd jubilee anniversary Jeton 1730 ss +
    (Listing title was auto-translated from German)

Cost: €45.00 ($50.83) + $16.83 shipping = $67.66.
    7190_10066a00_c.jpg
    Pros: this is an awesomely engraved silver jeton, and suitably early, with its 1730 date. Furthermore, it has handsome toning. I like the design and style a lot, and look forward to studying more about what's going on there on the obverse. At 26 mm, this piece is of a nice middling size; bigger than a US quarter but smaller than a half dollar.
    Cons: I don't know if PCGS will slab this, but I think they will. I don't really know the significance of the design yet, or much of anything about this piece, really, except it caught my eye and I like it. Really there's no question about me liking it enough. The main question is whether I like one of the other pieces more.

C.
    HAMBURG - NEW STOCK EXCHANGE 1841 - 1841, by Loos and Lorenz. 42.6 mm. ... bronze medal 1841 excellent
    (Listing title was auto-translated from German)
    Cost: €55.00 ($62.12) + $10.05 shipping = $72.17.
    md_01309 (1).jpg
    Pros: Big! Beautiful! C'mon, just look at this thing ... It's drop-dead gorgeous! Really, I'm practically sold, but for one tiny sticking point I'll mention below.
    Cons: at 42.6 mm, there's a chance this will not fit into a standard PCGS slab, and might need an oversized holder. I don't want those in my box. I'll have to call PCGS customer service and see. I know they'll do stuff up to 40 mm (US Silver Eagle size) in a standard holder, but that 43-45 mm stuff, I don't know.

D.
    2016 Mongolia Chinggis Khaan 1000 Tugrik Gold PCGS PR69 DCAM
    Cost: $59.00 (free shipping)
    s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg
    s-l400 (6).jpg s-l400 (7).jpg
    (More images in listing)
    Pros: a Mongolian coin celebrating Genghis Khan is kind of fun. And it's gold. Proof gold at that. Ultra high grade. And already in a PCGS slab, so it's "collection ready" in that sense. No extra work or expense. Gold, even small or modern gold, is always nice to have, and always relatively easy to sell later if the need arises.
    Cons: it's a modern NCLT "widget", so not as historically interesting as the pieces above. But it's proof gold. And I do intend to add some more moderns to make my "Eclectic Box" more truly eclectic. It's small, but for a gold coin in this price range, that shouldn't be surprising. Genghis Khan is kind of ugly, but properly fierce looking. I'm worried those main pictures are stock images, which would mean I'd need to reimage the coin, since the other (slab) images of the actual coin are too small and not of suitable quality. I suppose I can ask if the big images are of the actual coin.

So... what do you think is the best pick for the money?

I can't swear I'll follow the advice of the poll results, or that I won't run off and buy something else entirely, but I thought I'd solicit opinions on these four, just for fun.

I might even buy more than one of these if I come across more funds later. These are all watchlisted.

Thank you all for looking and advising, and thanks again to @dadams for the surprise gift of enough "mad money" to go on this little mini-shopping spree. At the bare minimum, I've had a blast shopping around, thanks to the surprise windfall gift. :)

Seattlite86, ddddd, asheland and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

I would say the 1730 Silver Jeton, because it is silver, it is historic, and it is a pretty coin. Though the Jeton is nice... I think that the 1841 bronze medal would look pretty in your electric box too, it has more detail then the Jeton.
    [​IMG]

Evan8, asheland and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Thanks. Good advice. Cool old scale in that photo. The weights look interesting.

One thing, though- my Eclectic Box collection is eclectic, not electric. ;)

An electric box has fuses or breaker switches or wires and boring stuff like that, while an eclectic box is full of a diverse mixture of things (coins in this case, which are far more fun than fuses and switches and stuff.) :)

ddddd and Noah Finney like this.
  5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Without a doubt the Nuremburg jeton. Lovely composition and patina.

PCGS will slab just about any medal. The real question is if they will be able to attribute it or if they will just slab it as "silver jeton". I vastly prefer their medal service to NGC for this reason, as NGC won't slab it unless they can fully attribute it from their very limited selection of reference books.

6. lordmarcovan

Thank you. That one seems to be building momentum in the poll.

Noah Finney likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Can anyone help translate the inscriptions on the Nuremberg jeton? I suspect Google translation might not be much help, since that's early 18th century German and might have abbreviations in it.

Noah Finney likes this.
  8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The jeton is charming, but will you look at it in a few months and think "meh"? I had to go with save up for a bigger purchase later. Something that you'll love :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I'm in on B as well although all of them are nice selections. Glad I could give some unexpected happy hunting.
    Seems to have something to do Charles V and the Augsburg Confession - AC on tablet.

Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

I don't think the jeton (or any of these) would go stale enough to become "meh" material later. Maybe the modern gold piece, but I could always flip it or make a super sweet giveaway prize of it later if that happened.

Two years ago, when I was sticking to a strict 20-coin limit ("Box of 20" style) with this collection, I was at a point where nearly all the coins were worth ~$200+, but since I've removed that limit on quantity and am again playing with less expensive material, there's no need to consider something unsuitable just because it had a two-figure rather than three-figure pricetag. (I can't afford the four-figure and higher stuff.)

11. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Interesting. The obverse is clearly referring to Charles V Holy Roman Emperor (Coronation 1530).

The reverse is dated 1730 and seems to be referring to a testimony to the king (2nd jubilee?) - however apparently 200th? 1730 was during the reign of Charles VI, which can't be a coincidence due to the namesake, though aside from the 200 year anniversary mentioned on the jeton I can't think of any particular significance of that year.

Noah Finney, Paul M. and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Thanks. Off to read about that. Coins (and jetons and medals, etc.) are such wonderful little history teachers, aren't they?

Noah Finney and dadams like this.
  13. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Psalm 119:46 I speak of your testimonies to kings (Ich rede von deinen Zeugnissen vor Königen)

14. Kasia

The Jeton talks about the two hundreth anniversary of King Charles the V. 1530 was the year he was crowned Holy Roman Emperor (Papal coronation by Pope Clement VII) so it commemorates that

ddddd, Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Oh! A psalm on the reverse! How wonderful. Thank you!

Noah Finney likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

And the Augsburg Confession happened in that year, so there's the explanation for the "A C" in the open book that @dadams pointed out. And I suppose the seated/enthroned figure being presented the book must be Charles V, then.

I've had him on a coin before.

Noah Finney, dadams and Kasia like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

I just pulled the trigger on Item B - the 1730 Nuremberg jeton.

After shipping and PayPal fees, the total bill was $70.21. Which means that after this goes off to PCGS, I'll have over a hundred bucks in it, but based on the eye appeal and history and the fact that there surely can't be millions of them out there, I think I'll be content with that.

I'll still enjoy watching the poll, and future comments on this thread may influence whether or not I go after those others when more money comes in.

Paul M., CircCam, ddddd and 3 others like this.
  18. Kasia

Technically, it is not talking about the two hundreth anniversary but it has what I think is a more obsolete version of Zweites Gedächtnis ("Zweites Gedaechtnus"), which basically is a more formal way of saying Second Memory (Rememberance) in referring to the Augsburg Confession

19. lordmarcovan

Look at the tiny details of the tapestry hanging behind the emperor. There's some kind of design there. A crowned eagle, perhaps?
    7190_10066a00_c.jpg

Seattlite86, Paul M., CircCam and 2 others like this.
  20. Kasia

yes, the double headed eagle associated with the holy roman empire

21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Draft saved Draft deleted