Walter Breen

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Owle, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

A dealer at a show the other day mentioned Walter Breen and what happened to him in his last years. It seems his greatest work in authoring books on numismatics were well-received. Wikipedia has an article on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Breen

What do coin collectors need to know about which of his books on numismatics are of the greatest value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I use three of his books: Encyclopedia of Early United States Cents, 1793-1814; Encyclopedia of US And Colonial Coins; and Encyclopedia of United States Half Cents, 1793-1857.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

His Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Coins is probably the one single greatest book on US coins a person can own, with it only being debatable with the Redbook, (redbook only being a consideration since its so widely read, with Breen's volume vastly superior). Too bad he didn't live longer and was able to publish a second edition. While many of his ideas were not conventional, there is simply a great deal of great information in that one volume, something nothing else accomplishes. His other volumes are pretty good too. He was a true pioneer in US numismatics, right up there with David Bowers and some others. Too bad his personal life has somewhat overshadowed that fact.

Chris

5. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Thanks for that overview, Chris.

I have seen the more notable of his books at the public library.

6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I have a nod in for the Encyclopedia of Early United States Cents. Although not alwasy the easiest to use for attribution, it has a lot of information on die states, CC level coins, and historyl..

7. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Heard the story behind him, although I'm not sure it's true - Isn't he in the clanker for child molestation?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

-Brian

EDIT: Just noticed the link

8. Owle

Owle Junior Member

That's what the dealer I spoke with yesterday said. I guess he needed some serious help, was in denial like Sandusky, and someone in jail got him. Too smart for his own good.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The Complete Encyclopedia of US And Colonial Coins is a great book but keep in mind that it is getting rather old. Some of the information is no longer thought to be true.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Old yes, but still the best non-specialized numismatic reference available (IMO). Also, it is worth pointing out that "some" is a very small percentage and understandable for a 25+ year old work. Things change and advance over time. The amount of information no longer thought to be true is about on par with the mistakes made year after year in the redbook.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm sure you will change your mind over time.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is his image.
    [​IMG]

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. Yes, eventually, (and hopefully), someday there will be a single volume book on US coins that is better, but the fact is 25 years after publication I still start with this book unless I already have the standard reference for a series, (like WB for SL halves, Sheldon, etc).

I think the standard would be if you were a US coin collector, and were stranded on an island, could only have one book, what book on all US coins would you prefer? Today, and for the foreseeable future, I simply believe its Breen. If a better one is published tomorrow I would gladly buy it. His professional reputation, and some of his other beliefs, do not make me a fan of the man personally, (quite the opposite), but the work stands for itself.

Chris

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"Over time" as in when a superior work is finally released? If so, yes, I will. Until that time and in my opinion, Breen's encyclopedia remains the best general (U.S.) numismatic reference available. Of course it is possible that I've missed something in the last twenty-odd years. If so, maybe you can enlighten me.

15. Owle

Owle Junior Member

There are many people with unsavory private lives who wrote terrific books; I would cite the chess field as having numerous brilliant people with problematic lives morally and ethically. The elderly dealer I spoke with at the Scranton show seemed to have a particular disdain for Breen on those grounds.

I will try to give the encyclopedia the attention that it deserves.

16. sunflower

sunflower New Member

California Pioneer Fractional Gold - Historic Gold Rush Small Change 1852-1857 And Suppressed Jewelers Issues 1858-1882. BY: Walter Breen and Ronald J. Gillio, New 2nd Ed., Revised and enlarged by robert D. Leornad Jr., Jay Roe, Jack Thoteroh, Ronald J. Gillio, Robert B. Lecce, and Richard A. Lecce.

That is the only Breen volumn I have. I was pricey. $300 in paperback. I use it a lot. It was worth every penny!

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We agree, It's a great book. I bought a copy when it first came out.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

While Breen was beaten in prison and thrown down a stairway, he did survive that and afterward was not kept with the general population. He did die in prison but it was from cancer which he had when he went in.

Another good book not mentioned yet was his Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Proof Coins. While some of the varieties he lists in it are questionable, there is a lot of good information in the book.

19. sunflower

sunflower New Member

What could he possibly gone to prison for? Bathing with coins instead of water? Not clipping his beard?
    :eek:
    My goodness. Just the thought of such a talented soul ending up behind bars is so sad. Very courious here.

20. TexasJarhead

TexasJarhead Junior Member

"What could he possibly gone to prison for? Bathing with coins instead of water? Not clipping his beard?"

He molested little boys. Something a little more serious than "bathing with coins" and "not clipping his beard".

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

His encyclopedia is a great reference, but Breen never met a fact that he couldn't make up

Draft saved Draft deleted