Wallet Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nicholas Molinari, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I really want to have an ancient coin housed long-term in my wallet, but I'm unsure what damage it might do to the coin. Does anyone keep a coin in a wallet at all times?

Deacon Ray, Pellinore and Justin Lee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I keep an Alexandrian drachm in my purse. It's in a flip and I have to change the flip fairly often (mylar is brittle). It would probably have less jostling in a wallet so a flip should be fine.

Justin Lee and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  4. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd carry something that was pretty common, and perhaps not in pristine condition to begin with. It's not quite as cool, but that way you won't have to worry so much about it being damaged or lost. Barring loss or dropping, I imagine it would be pretty safe.

Pellinore and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  5. Nicholas Molinari

The problem is I sit on my wallet, unlike the coin in your purse. I'm wondering what the impact of that will be. Of course, gold wears faster than bronze so the choice of coin certainly matters.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I keep a gordian ant in my backpack at all times. If I lose it no big deal.

Alegandron and rrdenarius like this.
  7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I do not keep one in my wallet.
    I do keep pics of my treasures in my phone. I have shown some of my Roman scale weights and a steelyard scale a lot recently.
    DSCN1617.JPG DSCN1618.JPG IMG_5654.JPG
    When I go to a meeting (coin club or otherwise), I put a couple of my recent treasures in a 2X2 flip inside a small ziplock bag to show folks.
    A word of caution. I showed a crystalized coin to a non collector who "tested" it between her thumb and two fingers..... It broke. I have read about someone else who had a crystallized pocket piece. It broke also. I would not worry about a bronze coin. I would put a silver one in a Cointain.
    Let us know what you plan to carry for good luck.

8. Nicholas Molinari

I was thinking at first a little electrum piece (for the wow factor) but maybe a small bronze man-faced bull is the most appropriate, both because of its durability and my affinity for Acheloios.

9. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Well, do it if it's a thing you like. It must be great to keep that coin you love in your wallet. I always had a nice red stone in my pocket, back in 1967. Still have it - in a box in the attic.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I carry an as od Domitian i got for $3 in my wallet.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  11. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

A thicker Greek bronze or earlier Roman provincial probably won’t break apart like a late Roman Bronze under some weight.

Nicholas Molinari and TIF like this.
  12. Nicholas Molinari

A lot of weight, lol!

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I carried this one for a while:

RI Aurelius Marcus 161-180 AE Sestertius S-C.jpg
    RI Aurelius Marcus 161-180 AE Sestertius S-C

Since I used to travel to a lot of 3rd world countries and backwater areas, I used to carry a few gold pieces in my wallet and on a necklace for over 35 years.

14. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Did you carry the gold for emergency money?

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Yes. I have had a couple friends in my career kidnapped for ransom monies. Also, felt gold coins were a universally understood commodity. I never had to use them, and no longer need to carry as I do not travel like I did. Saw some gorgeous parts of the world, and wonderful people. Was rarely in a compromised situation, thank goodness.

When Caesar was a young man, he was captured by some pirates for ransom. He befriended them, but promised he would come back and kill them. He did.

RR Julius Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1.jpg
    RR Julius Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1

16. Petercoin

Petercoin Active Member

1577Cavallotto.jpg

I've been carrying this corn around since I was delivering newspapers 40 years ago

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Could be a symptom of either my age or passion for ancient coins, but that is about the sexiest thing I have heard a woman say in a very long time.

One hell of a woman there.....

TIF likes this.
  18. alde

alde Always Learning

I used to carry a very worn Hadrian sestertius in my pocket. I was at the public library one day browsing ancient history books. There was a young man (maybe 13 or 14 years old) looking at the same books. We began to talk about history and I realized how bright he was and how much he loved history. I pulled the coin out of my pocket to show him and explane what it was. He was fascinated to see and hold it. I told him to keep it and said that I hope he starts a collection. That was years ago and maybe it's one of you guys. I hope so. That would be really cool.

19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

This one will be in my wallet today when I fly to Tokyo. Call me superstitious, but when I’m traveling I just like to have Fortuna Redux on my side... or in my pocket, as it were :).

7B6D4CAD-E60A-448B-9DBE-586C502BA355.jpeg

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

LOL!

Just for you, MedMan... here's a little purse piece pole dance :D

PurseCoinPoleDance.gif

21. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

If I had a pocket full of trites, I would throw them on stage. ;-)

rrdenarius and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted