Walking Liberty mint error forearm lump...need opinion please.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eastender43, Jul 14, 2010.

1. eastender43

eastender43 New Member

29257.JPG

I recently bought this WL,and it has an interesting lump on Lady Liberty's right forearm.The coin is otherwise MS64/better.Can anyone tell me what this lump does to the value of the coin?Can a coin like this be slabbed/graded by PCGS/Anacs,and how do they value it?Any help greatly appreciated.I have never seen another WL like this,it definitely appears to be of the mint error variety,not a post mint injury.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Can we get closer pics? Maybe take one through a loupe?

4. eastender43

eastender43 New Member

I will see what I can do in that regard...

5. eastender43

eastender43 New Member

So upon very close magnified examination,it is apparent this is not a mint error,but a mark intentionally made after minting with a very sharp instrument.Can anyone tell me what this does to the value of this Ms64/65 coin?Thanks in advance.

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Most likely a Die crack but a closeup would help

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

If the mark was caused after minting the damage will be below the surface of the coin. If the mark is a die crack it will be raised above the surface of the coin.

8. eastender43

eastender43 New Member

Thank you very much for your kind help on this...With magnification it is possible to see that it is an indentation caused by a very sharply pointed object,which then raised a lip around the injury.How this could happen to an otherwise perfect coin is anyone's guess,but I am leaning toward it being an intentional defacement.

Can anyone tell me what this does to the value of the coin?I would guess it drops it several grades from a MS 64/65....

Any opinions are appreciated!Thanks again,Bob

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The damage would lower the grade to no higher than MS-63 or, if the damage is deemed severe enough, the coin would be considered damaged and would not grade.

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Nice looking DDO, the mark I don't know..
    Looks like the Denver mint WL

Draft saved Draft deleted