Walking Liberty Half Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rick B, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

It may be too late before this is seen, but what do you think of this 1938 Walking Liberty Half dollar, MS63?
    Blue book is $90 and red book is $160.
    So close to blue book seems like a good deal.

What is your opinion about the reverse eye appeal? Does the dirtiness bother you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203040727244?ul_noapp=true

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

It’s seems ok . Don’t know about the Vegas vault collection but that adds a bit to the “neat factor” factor for me

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Reverse is too scungy for my liking! :D Makes me think it was in a heated car in the winter time, then someone left it over night in their car, just a guess tho'!

5. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I agree. Wonder why NGC rated it MS63. I guess the grubbiness isn't a negative factor?

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Because it was graded before the grubbiness happened, that would be my guess.

capthank likes this.
  7. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Good point!

8. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

There's a picture of it on the NGC site. It looks like it's grubby but the picture is poor quality, the eBay picture is better. The lighting is also different. If you look at it closely. You can see the grubbiness.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  9. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Yes, the grubbiness is clearly there on the NGC site. You can zoom in quite a bit and it's clear.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2670891-040/63/

NGC prices it at $155. So ebay price might be a good deal. But I'll pass. I need to learn more before continuing to plunk down money. And I'm not a big fan of the grub.

capthank and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

If it isn't the look you like,then pass by all means. It has the dirty gray look that to me means "un dipped." As long as Lady Liberty doesn't have crud all over her, I am not bothered by the brownish tarnish.

capthank and bikergeek like this.
  11. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Good point that it proves it hasn't been dipped.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It brought $92.50. I thought it would bring a bit more. Not a bad looking coin for a 63.

capthank likes this.
  13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Nice original skin. Not everyone's cup of tea, but nothing I see would bother me.

14. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

It seems pretty rare to see an MS encapsulated coin going for blue book value. Often they are more than red book! I wonder why it went for so little.

15. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Here is my very first slabbed coin, which I will be breaking free! My first slab crack. Which method shall I use? I'll try the vise method first.

Attached Files:

16. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

And here it is freed from plastic jail!
    Is there any reason to keep the broken smashed holder?

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  17. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that I cannot find album pages for slab LABELS. Seems like there would be a market for those. What do you do with your labels when you break them out of the slab?

capthank likes this.
  18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I’d just keep the label.

capthank likes this.
  19. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. I'm looking for a nice way to store the labels.

capthank likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Are you putting these coins in some type of an album?

capthank likes this.
  21. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Yes. Intercept album. No space for the labels. I wonder when they will make albums that hold the coins AND the labels below the coin. Seems like there MIGHT be a market for them. ???

capthank and UncleScroge like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted