Walking Liberty Collection 1941 - 1947

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I know I said I wasn't going to spend any more money, due to my short time left and no one in my family particularly interested in collecting, but I just couldn't resist, and have been buying Walking Liberty half dollars, at every chance I can. I've been putting in ridiculously low bids on things I'd like to get, and then hoping for the best. Well, here's one of my wins.

Tell me what you think of condition and value of the collection. I will be posting the price I got it for later.

Photos are theirs, and the best I can do for now. It appears all are in MS condition.
    1941-1947 Album cover.jpg
    1941-1947 Album.jpg 1941-1947 Album rev.jpg

JPD3, -jeffB, meandyou4ever0 and 30 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Beautiful set!!!

Mountain Man and MIGuy like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There are a few in there that look real nice.
    If I was on the hunt. I would probably give a bid of 400, and hope for a couple of gems.

Mountain Man and MIGuy like this.
  5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

1000. Guessing 50 bucks each. Hope their not cleaned

6. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Very nice! Glad to see you!

Mountain Man likes this.
  7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Nice set! If it makes you happy then keep on collecting!

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Awesome set! You must be proud aa much as possible given your current circumstances. Wishing you all the best! biggrin.gif

Mountain Man, MIGuy and PamR like this.
  10. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Thanks Mtn Man nice set, I cherrypick the 1946 & 1947D. I often think the same as you, but now rationalize that rather than $$$ I'll leave them coins and if they research to see what they're worth maybe they'll get interested and pass on rather than sell? Be well Mtn. $475

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

After I acquired the "short sets" for the Lincoln Cent, Wartime Nickel and Mercury Dime from the World War II era, I've thought about doing the same thing for the Washington Quarter and most especially the Walking Liberty Half Dollar, which is one of my favorite designs. The trouble is, you have to find a dealer who sells these coins raw. I would not want them certified.

That is a very attractive set, @Mountain Man. :)

PamR and Mountain Man like this.
  12. wxcoin

After reading your post it made me think twice about my future collecting plans. My only heir is my son who doesn't seem very interested in coins. Over the years I've given him a few nice certified classic coins in hopes that he would show an interest in their history. He seemed intrigued the time I gave him a cameo proof 3CN. This past Christmas I gave him Liberty half eagle; just another type that he's never seen. This past fall I sold a large portion of my collection to a LCS so I could concentrate on doing what I always wanted to do since I found an indian head cent in a bank roll in the late 60's. Right now I've been working on upgrading my NGC Indian Head Cent registry set (No Respect, No Respect At All), replacing lower graded with higher graded ones. The process is getting slower but entertaining as the search fills in spare time.

My original plan was to call it quits in a couple of years and then sell everything. This post has made me realize that I shouldn't worry about what's going to happen to my collection if something unfortunate happens to me. The fact that I still enjoy the hunt tells me that I shouldn't give up what I enjoy just because my son isn't into the same things I am. I've already given him instructions on how to go about selling my collection if he doesn't want to keep it. I think that he would be unhappy knowing that I gave up something I enjoyed just because he wasn't interested. Who knows, after I'm gone, he'll be intrigued by the things I collected and found interesting.

Tater, -jeffB, PamR and 7 others like this.
  13. johnmilton

The other advantage is that your collection will have a stepped up basis when it passes to your heirs. That way they will be no or less income tax when they sell it.

The only problem is if you have a huge estate, in the millions. The inheritance taxes are quite high.

PamR, Mountain Man and wxcoin like this.
  14. wxcoin

I don't have a huge estate and never thought of it even being near a million, but the way real estate has increased in value that number isn't out of the question if I live another decade. Although, a million in ten years won't be the same as a million today.

As I side note, a bill was recently passed by the Wisconsin state legislature doing away with sales tax on coin and bullion sales. I sure hope the governor doesn't veto the bill.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. johnmilton

A million already is not what it used to be. One million today is like $100,000 when our parents were in their prime. A few years ago I figured out that you needed to be a millionaire to retire comfortably. That includes a place to live and the income a 7 to 8 hundred thousand nest egg earns.

The inheritance tax deduction is up to close to $13 million.

-jeffB, PamR, MIGuy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dustin McDaniel

Dustin McDaniel Active Member

Very nice looking coins. To me $400 would seem pretty good.

17. Mountain Man

In the millions. Ha, ha, ha, ha. Lucky if it hits 6 digits, and that with the zeros for cents. LOL
    I just gave my land and cabin to a friend, so other than personal belongings, I have only my collection.

JPD3, meandyou4ever0, PamR and 4 others like this.
  18. Mountain Man

Tater, JPD3, -jeffB and 11 others like this.
  19. Cheech9712

Don’t forget us. We enjoy your friendship.

JPD3, wxcoin and LakeEffect like this.
  20. Cheech9712

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

DO you have it in hand yet? Are they all BU?

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted