Wake up the World Coins Forum! (aka "I can't stop giving stuff away")

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Good luck all in the drawing!!!

Just hoping I posted my entries in time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I read the rules as multiple threads would generate multiple entries (up to three) if the were each in an individual post...not wrong to put more in a single post, it just might not generate as many entries for the random number generator. Not disqualifying, perhaps just not maximizing entry chances.

Of course the OP of this thread gets to decide if he wants to allow extra chances like he did for the OP of the most excellent and entertaining counting backward thread. He made a post which creates an entry for the random number generator, which is why three separate posts would improve the odds of winning.

Or, as a wise person once taught me: "Rules are just guidelines put there to make one think" or "don't let a bad rule stand between you and doing the right thing" or "don't be a sheep" and "Rules change in changing circumstances".

Notice I said 'rules' and not 'laws' ;). Of course, none of this is protection against consequences. Balance the rule vs. the consequence of not following the rule (ie banning, fines, losing a contest or race, or being ostracized etc).

And, a gentle reminder of the rules is almost always appropriate :). Unless you are an admin/moderator/referee/judge/OP, then the gentle part can be a little less gentle.

But I digress (and I didn't even bring up the concept of justice).

PS: LordM, in case you missed it in my earlier post I disqualified myself. If the random number generator insists on using my post number anyway and it were to win, have a generator-off between Pragmatic ,MasterSamurai and any YNs who might be posting on this contest :D.

pragmatic and MasterSamurai like this.
  4. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Not interested in the giveaway but I will address the non-existent World Coin Forum issue. I guess with US coins you might have categories for different areas. But with world coins everything is just grouped together: recent scrap metal, which are not even true circulating coins, with older or rare coins. With Roman coins there is pretty much a minimum amount: often in the $15 range, although there are some ancients which cost more.

With world coins a lot of the posts are just about nclt's or even pocket change like a 2017 Canadian nickel found at the bank. Thus I think you need some sort of division of the categories.

5. tmnt

tmnt New Member

World coins actually brought me back into collecting. I started collecting when I was very young and pretty much stopped when I went to college. I went to London last year with my wife and we both liked how the coins together formed a shield. It was kind of a little puzzle where we collected all of the pieces. Now I'm all in again. I still mostly collect US coins but I have a lot of interesting world coins. Mostly worthless clad change but still interesting. I'd probably be more active posting but I have a cute needy 4 month old who keeps me busy.

Its nice to see people doing contests and sharing some interesting coins and stories.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I haven't forgotten y'all. Have just opted to postpone the drawing until I'm on a real desktop computer with a mouse and keyboard and bigger screen.

That means at work, in the wee hours overnight.

Again, if I don't get too busy. There should be time after the weekly supply inventory is done. (Then again, 4th of July week is usually one of our busiest in the resort hotel industry...)

7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Do your job first, or it could quickly turn into a "last resort" hotel. :)

8. lordmarcovan

The beauty of being the night auditor (and the sole employee on duty in the hotel overnight - therefore "manager by default") is that I do get plenty of downtime to goof off online when the work is done (and I always get the work done first).

As long as the overnight work indeed gets completed so that the day shifts function normally, I enjoy a great deal of freedoms in my solitary position that the day shift folks (who are under actual supervision) do not get to enjoy.

I wouldn't have those freedoms if upper management didn't trust me to keep the place running overnight and get the job done.

9. Stork

Sounds like an awesome job actually. Being left to do it properly as you see fit. With trust and no micromanaging from afar (by someone who doesn't know what is going on 'in the trenches') and is smart enough to let the guy doing the job handle it.

10. lordmarcovan

It is TOTALLY worth working graveyard shift for.

Edit: 95% of the time, that is. The downside to being totally alone soon becomes evident when something really goes wrong. Mercifully, that is rare, and I do have engineering and security people on call at our bigger sister property nearby.

And then there are the occasional drunks. I'm not a fan of drunks. But anyone who works nights in any service industry has to deal with them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

When I was in charge of night shift I had one employee that seemed to be responsible for most of the problems that occurred. Though I never actually met him/her the other employees knew the person well. A rather unusual name "Not Me" almost always was responsible for the problems and mistakes. ;) :)

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

13. lordmarcovan

According to the timestamp on that message you quoted, you originally posted that link on June 24, well before the end-of-month deadline, so yes.

I'll have the random number generator pick us some winners in the wee hours.

pragmatic and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. Seattlite86

When exactly are the wee hours?
    [​IMG]

pragmatic likes this.
  15. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

My wife worked as night auditor for years. She loved it except for when the bars closed some of the guests can get a little out of hand. Most of my family works in the hotel industry.

16. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Its when you wake of in the middle of the night and need to go wee.

17. Stork

:hilarious::hilarious:

Seattlite86 and pragmatic like this.
  18. Seattlite86

:woot::hilarious:

19. lordmarcovan

Right about now. Seven of my eight hours in the shift were actually spent working tonight (hey, it's the 4th of July, after all), but I'll be firing up the random number generator momentarily.

Yes. This. It's great, when all the guests are in their beds asleep. When they are intoxicated, or needy, or both, then it gets challenging, since I work by myself and can't be two or three places at once. Fortunately, most of the time it is nice and peaceful.

Stand by for the drawing. Unless I get some checkouts, we'll have some winners before I leave work.

20. lordmarcovan

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    jj00, chrsmat71, Theodosius and 3 others like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

And Prize #2 (an as-yet-undetermined World Coin prize) goes to...

JuneWorldCoinGiveaway-Prize2.png

@sam_raph, for Post #2!

jj00, chrsmat71, Theodosius and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.