W Mint Mark Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1948 Edward, Apr 13, 2019.

1. 1948 Edward

1948 Edward Member

What do you think of the ebay listings for the W mint mark quarters?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think the fools will buy them.

4. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

There’s a frenzy right now. Sale prices are already half of what they were a few days ago. I advise waiting.

Seattlite86 and brandon spiegel like this.
  5. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

agreed, defintally a lot of hype right now.

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I will eventually end up buying one, because it’s the school I went to, but I’m going to wait a few years, because the novelty of these will drive prices up, until a good million or so are found and the supply outweighs the demand. The real question is: how many will be found UNC and how many will circulate? I think I’d like to get me a circulated example; it would be more fun to consider someone unknowingly had one of these and carried it around in their pockets.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Blame it on PCGS for offering a $5K reward so they could brag on themselves.

Do you hear that @baseball21 ? Do you hear that @Heater ?

Chris

Seattlite86 and masterswimmer like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Why are some people so angry? I don't get it

Anyway great job PCGS amazing promotion and congrats to the winners.

Why some are so angry....

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Who is angry? I'm just expressing my opinion regarding the hype about the ATB quarters from the West Point Mint.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

this time Next year, they'll be ten million in circulation chances of finding one running a cash register are probably pretty darn good that's what I'm hoping for!!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  11. rugrats2001

rugrats2001 Seeker of Truth

Good luck, but really, once they are distributed, it would be really uncommon to find one in circulation. Lots of fogeys with $10,000 in their pockets are buying boxes of the new quarters as fast as the bank gets them, then they return the rest and THOSE are what you will find in your register. Now if they HADN’T told what areas they were boing dumped in, it could be a different story. Two million sounds like a lot, but some of the early ATBs with over 10 times the mintage are VERY tough to find in circulation; they are just swamped by the tens of billions of quarters already out there. Someone with cash and bank or armored car connections in the right location can amass hundreds of rolls of these, and just sit on them, looking for a giant payoff that is never going to come.

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The W dimes only had like a 1.4 mil mintage, and are readily available still from 2 to $10. I don't see the quarters ever commanding that much premium times face.

2x2 $averKrazy likes this.
  13. baseball21

HUGE difference. The W dimes came in mint sets, NOT circulation

14. Hommer

I very well know that. Do you care to give an opinion on future value of either, or are you just here to dispute everyone else's opinion?

furham and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

In two years they will be a $6 item. Except for the super-uber high grades that someone makes a market in - those will be selling for $2k.

Seattlite86 and 2x2 $averKrazy like this.
  16. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

I just bought 3 or so silver half's that have a mintage of 2 mil or so for 8 $ a piece why would a clad coin in years to come comand more ? and I realize that 10 mil ain't that many in comparison to the total mintage I just have a hard time beleiving that deep pocket coin roll hunters are going to DeBo all ten mil !!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  17. baseball21

Then why compare things that are so different? Do you think mint set only issues are comparable to circulation only issues?

18. Hommer

The hype is non existent on an ordinary circulation strike as well as a normal mint set coin. The only thing that makes the coin distinguishable and collectable, is the W mint mark, which is also makes the two relatively comparible. What are you comparing it too? PCGS Adverising?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. baseball21

Lol

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably not that great a difference. With everyone searching a pulling them out as soon as they find them probably at least half the mintage will survive in Mint State, plus there will be the other million in just slightly less than MS.

In some cases, look at the 1987 halves. Mint set only and a very low premium value. Most of the satin finish 2005 - 2010 coins don't command a great premium either. If anything the 96 W premiums are probably higher than they should be. 1.4 million made, all of them available in MS, and there aren't 1.4 million roosevelt dime collectors.

Hommer likes this.
  21. baseball21

A good percentage will get lost or become ungradeable/destroyed as opposed to the W dime which essentially has a 99.99 percent survival rate. The other big different is going to be the grade ranges. The grade spread will be large being a business strike coin that comes from circulation

I would absolutely expect mint set only issues to have lower premiums, and depending on the number little to no premiums unless there is an unusual grade spread or special characteristic of a small percentage.

Draft saved Draft deleted