VTRAQUE VNUM 1741 + CARLUS III 1776 coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by zahmed, Jul 3, 2012.

1. zahmed

zahmed New Member

VTRAQUE vnUM 1741_frnt.jpg VTRAQUE vnUM 1741_back.jpg

carlusIII1776_fnt.jpg carlus III-1776_bck.jpg

Hello every one,

I have been passed on by my late Grand father, a coin collection, amongst the collection, these are the two i thought might interest people. Now i do not know if they are real or not ! but as an engineer i know Non-ferous items are non magnetic, i checked these coins on magnet and they don't stick. To me the quality seems ok (specially the second one). but as i said i have no clue what they are worth and how to sell them.

kindly if some one can guide me as to what is the worth of these coins and how can i sell them ?

thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I am reasonably certain they are both cast fakes.

4. zahmed

zahmed New Member

Really !,
    how can i be sure that they are fake and not real ? how to check them ?

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I was about to write that the coins look to be.... & you should wait to hear from GDJMSP. Then, I saw the post from GDJMSP. I think GDJMSP is spot-on. Sorry.

You could accurately weigh the coins and accurately measure the diameters to see if they are within tolerance for those coins. I suspect that they will be out of tolerance simply based upon the appearance in your photos. The fact remains, you should weigh & measure them to be sure they are fake.

Fake, real, or shipwreck salvage, do not attempt to clean them.

What other coins are in the collection?

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Almost forgot to say welcome to the CoinTalk forum. :smile
    :welcome:

7. zahmed

zahmed New Member

and i thought grandpa left me a fortune :)

anyways there are many many coins different shapes and sizes i think i am going to scan all of them and put up here, mostly they are in bad shape chipped off edges etc.,

but i'll buy a digital scale today and check the weights and diameter etc. and post them up here.

and frankly i still have a feeling they aint fake.

8. ctrl

ctrl Member

Unfortunately, aside from the appearance of being cast, the mintmark of that 1776 one should have a circle above the M. There was no mintmark with just a plain M like that. The assayer initials "FM" for Carolus III are Mexico City minted, and Mexico City always has a circle above the M, like the first one.

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

You could take the questionable coins to a jeweler or a buy-your-gold store & they would probably give you an accurate weight for free. Don't ask them to test the coins for silver because that could damage the surface and lower the value if they are real coins.

As previously stated in this thread, I am trying to tell you that the coins appear fake. Please don't get your hopes-up about these two pieces. Just have them measured & make sure.

10. DeiGratia

DeiGratia New Member

I'm 95% sure the 1741 is fake, porus surface reminecence of casting, color is off, reeding is wrong.

I'm 100% sure the 1776 is fake. Charles looks like a cartoon

11. zahmed

zahmed New Member

Thanks guys,

this was very informative

12. marie17

marie17 New Member

13. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

It's called a dos mundos. What the two pillars of hercules mean are the two mountains on the either side of the straits of Gibraltar. Plus ultra mean further out. The Spanish empire went all around the world, and the two hemispheres were featured. It was the first truly worldwide empire. There were ships that went from the Philippines to Acapulco, and from Veracruz to Spain all the time. The British started making counterfeit 8 reales with copper inside, so the Chinese used chop marks to check them.

14. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted