Volodya's Top Coin of 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Volodya, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Well, I only bought eight coins all year, which sort of blows the whole top ten thing right out of the water... so here's my favorite. It's a common enough coin, but it took me decades to find the "right" example. I guess I can finally stop mourning another great example, which I was the underbidder on in three separate auctions. On the time-honored, deeply considered theory of a bird in the hand, I now prefer this one, so all's well...

The portrait of Antony is first rate, but I especially like the revealing portrait of Octavian. Some of his portraits on this type are merely insipid (and some, interestingly, resemble Antony, showing who was boss in their relationship then...), but this one brilliantly depicts him as the smirking bloodthirsty twerp he truly was:

[​IMG]

Phil Davis

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coin. Well worth waiting for imho.

Makanudo, Curtisimo and Volodya like this.
  4. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Seems like a coin that talks to people. If I had the chance to own this coin, I would immediately search for 2 other coins depicting Cleopatra VII and commander Agrippa. That would complete the ancient story of war and love. Congrats..

Makanudo and Volodya like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done Phil. Wonderful example. And, yes, the portraiture clearly reflects him! Wow, just absolutely great! Congrats on bagging your prey!

LOL, I HAVE to do this. Let me "usurp" your post. Here is MY version... JUST to make YOUR coin look even that much BETTER!!! (You can see why mine did not make my Top 10 of 2017 - although I really like this coin!) :)

upload_2017-12-2_17-15-27.png
    RImp Antony-Octavian AR Denarius 41 BCE 3.65g 18.7mm Military mint Syria star Craw 528-2a Sear 1507

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Utterly fantastic! Interesting that Antony's portrait is larger than Octavian's - almost as if Antony's saying 'we're not equals kid!'

7. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Sounds like you knew him personally.

Is this you?

[​IMG]

It would explain your 'minty' collection.

benhur767, Andres2, Makanudo and 9 others like this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Excellent coin Phil. I would love to see your top 5 or even all 8!

Severus Alexander and Volodya like this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Gorgeous coin/ great quality! Congrats Phil:) Can hardly wait to see theother "seven".
    John

Volodya and Curtisimo like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wonderful coin, but you really leave us wanting to see the other seven!

chrsmat71 and Volodya like this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Jaw-dropping!

Volodya likes this.
  12. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Here's one of the other seven anyway. Five of the remaining six are from this same victoriatus hoard gradually being dispersed by CNG. I don't have photos of those five right now.

[​IMG]

The last is different, another type I've been looking for forever. This is an old dealer's photo (not where I got the coin) that doesn't do the piece justice at all. It's the best example I've ever seen. It's very very difficult to find with reverse detail like this, despite the minor weakness in the center of the quiver. It almost always looks vaguely softly-struck; I suspect that most of the dies were shallowly-engraved and lacked detail even when made.

[​IMG]

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awesome!

Volodya likes this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Simply stunning!

TJC and Volodya like this.
  15. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Fabulous coins, V. I was there when you won the Antony/Octavian and it's truly top of it's class.

C

Volodya likes this.
  16. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Looks like you had an excellent year, Phil! Really well done on the 3 coins shared in this thread and I completely agree with you on the first coin. That's gotta be both the best die pair for that type and the finest example of that type I've ever seen.

benhur767 and Volodya like this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

That OP Mark Antony - Octavian denarius is truly gorgeous. The style on the two portraits stands out. I especially like MA's one with plain cheeks and the little "something" in his eyes and smile, just as if he were presented a big cheesecake (or a young virgin maybe...)

I have always though of mine as a good example of the type, but am now considering throwing it away to the bin. Really astounding example

[​IMG]

Q

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    benhur767, Andres2, Makanudo and 8 others like this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Just to make the point that it can take decades to find the 'right' coin, I'll post a fourree that will make you appreciate Alegandron's middle of the road specimen. I have always lied he C shaped core exposure on Antony's cheek and the 'sweet' expression on Octavian's face. I like the style of this ugly thing. I believe it shows that 'Fake News' was around in 41 BC.
    ra8110bb0202.jpg

19. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Wonderful OP coin!! Very minty indeed!!! Love the style!

20. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Wonderful coins, Phil. I'm amazed at the restraint required to build a collection of this quality. 8 coins for the year indicates how rarely this stuff comes to market, as well as the resources required to capture them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  21. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Some gorgeous coins but the OP is in a league of its own.

benhur767 and Volodya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted