Featured Vitellius’ membership of the Quindecimviri sacris faciundis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, May 3, 2020.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

13.2.png

The Decemviri Sacris Faciundis - later the Quindecimviri Sacris Faciundis - were one of four major collegia of religous matters in ancient Rome. The three other collegia were the Pontifices, Augures and Epulones.The duty of the Quindecimviri Sacris Faciundis was to take care of the Sibylline Books and consult the books at the request of the Senate and interpret its texts. Cults introduced on their interpretation of the texts - such as the cult of Ceres after the famine of 496 BC - also fell under their supervision. The quindecemviri were known for organizing exquisite banquets.

About the college
    During the time of the kings of Rome, two duumviri - men coming from the highest of ranks - were appointed to safeguard the Sibylline Books and interpret the texts. After the last king of Rome was ousted, the task was given to men of Patrician status. Around 367 BC, as one of the measures to break down the absolute power of the aristocracy on religious matters, the number of the members of the college was increased to ten, comprising of five men of Patrician status and five of Plebeian status. Somewhere in the first century BC, the number was increased again, up to fifteen, and hence were mentioned as quindecemviri.

Up until the breakdown of the Latin League in 338 BC, the decemviri was a power to be reckoned with, as it was responsible for the interactions and festivities that Rome shared with its Italian neighbors. After Rome established its absolute dominance over its Italian neighbors, the collegium lost it’s prime power. The Second Punic War caused the collegium to regain it’s power however. It was because of their interpretation, that the Ludi Apollinares were held which led to the increased worship and importance of Apollo (the God had no Roman equivalent) and it’s cult. The priests of the collegium hence were also considered the priests of Apollo. Each member had a bronze tripod dedicated to Apollo in his house - an emblem representing his prophetic power. The decemviri was also responsible to introduce the cult of Cybele.

In the following decades the power of the decemviri would decline, and with the establishment of the Prinicipate and the destruction of the Sibyilline books, their function would mainly be ceremonial.

About the Sibylline Books
    The Sibylline Books consisted of a series of expressions of the Hellespontine Sibyl (oracle) and were purchased by the last king of Rome. Legend has it that Tarquinius Superbus, initially declining, purchased three books, put under pressure by the Cumaean Sibyl who burned the six other books. Whatever may be the case, it became part of the legend of the Roman kings and the (beginning of) the Roman Republic, and from the start, the Senate kept a watchful eye on the books. The books were held in the Temple of Jupiter, on the Capitol.

In 83 BC, during a great fire in Rome that also affected the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus, the books were lost. Immediately, throughout the empire, a search was underway to find new oracles to replace the old ones. This lead to the circulation of several prophecies, which individually were claimed to be the replacement Sibylline books. During the Principate, Augustus ordered most of the books to be destroyed, except for the few he deemed of some value. Augustus moved the books to the temple of Apollo Patrous, on the Palatine, where he could keep control over them.

About the coin
    The denarius’ reverse shows a “tripod lebes on top of which rests a dolphin, and a raven below.” The legend on the reverse states XV [Quindecim]VIR SACR[is] FAC[iundis]. The main explanation of these symbols is that the coin celebrates the membership of Vitellius of the Quindecimviri sacris faciundis. However, the symbols can also be linked to the other collegiums.

The main function of the ‘tripod lebes’, is currently viewed as that of a cooking pot. This may be true for this coin, and so it may refer to the college of the Epulones who’s task was arranging feasts and public banquets at festivals and games. If viewed as a tripod lebes, it could also refer to the banquets held by the Quindecimviri sacris faciundis, which are said to be quite exuberant, and which correlates to the bloated depiction of Vitellius and his lust for excessive feasting, gambling and indolence. However, the symbol may also propagate a religious meaning and usage and may refer to the fact that each of Quindecimvirii had a tripod in their private house and which is a symbol of Apollo. Some references I found online describe the symbol as a ‘covered vessel’ or ‘sacrificial tripod’ and not a tripod lebes.

The dolphin above the tripod with vessel can have several meanings and is depicted on many Roman and other ancient coins. The meanings vary from a the dolphin as a symbol of guidance, protection and, together with an anchor, Augustus himself. In this case, it could also refer to Apollo, who, according to Homer, had transformed himself into a dolphin. Also, as a symbol of guidance and protection, it could refer to the Quindecimviri sacris faciundis who’s task was to guide the people desperate times with their interpretation of the Sybille books.

The raven is associated with the college of Augures who interpreted the will of the gods through the study of the flight of birds. This college was, together with the other three colleges, one of the four main and most powerful religious institutions of Rome.

Interesting to note is that this explanation includes three of the four colleges. Lacking is a symbol that refers to the College of Pontiffs however. The obverse legend of the coin lacks the ‘P M’ (or PONT MAX) and a symbol such as the simpulum which is associated with the Pontiffs.

About Vitellius in relation to his religious position
    According to Suetonius, Vitellius violated all religious laws and customs, when on 18 July 69 AD, on the day of the defeat of the Roman republican army at the battle of Allia in 18 July 387 BC and subsequent sacking of Rome by the Senones, he accepted the position of Pontifex Maximus. He also ordered magistrates to be elected for ten years and made himself consul for life. His main interest - in line with his lazy and unambitious personality - was eating and drinking and the opulance of the banquets of the quindecimviri must have been very appealing to Vitellius, as Sear states. It is not difficult to imagine that Vitellius’ little interest in the religious aspects of his position led to such a - in the eyes of the Romans - illegal, and shameful act.

Thank you for reading! Please let me know what you think of this post, and show your coins of Vitellius, or coins showing religious symbols of the religious collegia.

eparch, dlhill132, octavius and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Good write up and a very nice Vitellius denarius.

Here's mine:

P1210689bb (3).jpg

dlhill132, octavius, Limes and 6 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

My example below, although it won't be mine very much longer:

roman111obv.jpg roman111rev.jpg

6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin and interesting write up Limes, only have one coin of this scarce emperor. 2015-01-07 01.07.48-3 (550x264).jpg

7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies!

I was wondering, does anyone on this board have a coin showing symbols/attributes of the Quindecimviri, on a different coin?

Or symbols/attributes of the other collegiums? E.g. the simpulum, as depicted on the rare coin of Nero as a youngster, RIC 77?

That is a really nice example. Why are you parting with it, if I may ask?

Carausius likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Super write up, and GREAT coin, @Limes ! VERY nice example of Vitellius.

When I see that type of tripod, it always reminds me of the Ancient steam engine of Hero of Alexandria...

upload_2020-5-4_12-22-21.png

My Vitellius may had been run over by that steam engine...

upload_2020-5-4_12-23-25.png
    RI Vitellius 69 CE AR Denarius Pont Max Vesta Seated

9. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Great post!! Very interesting.

Limes likes this.
  10. Carausius

I've consigned most of my Roman Imperials for auction. My collecting focus has been on the Roman Republic for several years now. I thought it was time to let other collectors enjoy my Imperial coins. I'll no doubt regret the sale at some point in the future!

Limes and Alegandron like this.
  11. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Where and when?

12. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

This reverse type is unique to Vitellius and earned a place on my pages of unique reverse types which I invite you to visit:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/unique/unique.html

There I described it this way:

VitelliusXVVIR.jpg
    XV VIR SACR FAC, tripod-lebes with dolphin above and raven below.
    "quindecimvir sacris faciundis"
    Denarius. 20-19 mm. 3.42 grams.
    Emperor Vitellius, AD 69, Jan. 2 to Dec. 20. Struck April 19 to the beginning of May at Rome, according to RIC.
    A VITELLIVS GERMANICVS IMP
    "This type--tripod, dolphin, and raven--suggests Apollo, god of prophecy." [BMC ccxxiv] "Presumably recording his immediate election into the principal priestly colleges." [RIC page 265]
    The care of the Sibylline prophecies was the chief function of this college, which is not celebrated on coins of any other emperor.

Sear I 2201 variety. RIC I Vitellius 70. BMC 3.

Answered above, I think.

13. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Den. and aureus of young Nero / simpulum on reverse.

m47175.jpg 8MznPfb49RYnStN7kD3T32Wbjj5Zm6.jpg

Limes, Johndakerftw, Bing and 6 others like this.
  14. Carausius

I would probably break the rules if I were to accurately answer that question. So I will be no more specific than to say: within the next month or two. I've sold bits of the collection in the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted