Visit to the ANA Money Museum Part 1--Roman

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, May 18, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Visiting Colorado Springs (snowy there today!) and went to the ANA Money Museum. It's quite a place and worth the trip if you're ever in the area. It's naturally heavy in modern US coinage, including a spectacular collection of gold coins and pattern pieces. However, they do have an exhibit on the history of money. Here's their Roman coin display. I apologize for the quality of the photos; it was hard to photograph them through the glass and no flash photography is allowed (which would have made things worse anyway).

Roman 1.jpg Roman 2.jpg Roman 3.jpg Roman 4.jpg Roman 5.jpg Roman 6.jpg Roman 7.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

And just a few blocks to the East, you could have hit Ken Hallenbeck's coin shop. That's where I bought these two guys years ago which helped me down this path (I miss that town...)

Anc-08b-R3-k0205-Caracalla-DE-136a.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D. (205 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 19.17mm x 3.3. grams
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, Laureate bust right, draped
    Rev.: LIBERALITAS AVGG V, Liberalitus standing left, holding abacus and cornucopia
    Ref.: RIC IV-1, 136b, p 232. R2

Anc-08b-R3-k0211-Caracalla-DE-184.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D. (211 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 20.28mm x 2.8 grams
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT. Laureate bust, right
    Rev.: P M TR P XIIII COS III P P. Pax, draped, advancing left, holding branch in right hand and sceptre in left hand
    Ref.: RIC IV-1 Caracalla 184, p. 238. C

Hope you had a fun trip!

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some nice coins, shame they dont showcase more.

Draft saved Draft deleted