Visit to National Numismatic Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by calcol, Sep 29, 2016.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Last week, went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History which houses the National Numismatic Collection. Definitely worth seeing. Saw the famous rarities like the 1804 dollar, 1913 liberty head nickel, 1933 double eagle, and more. If you go there, be aware that there are numismatic displays in various parts of the museum, not just in the vault room. For example, saw very nice 1838-C and -D half eagles that weren't in the vault room. The most astounding thing was the original gold nugget found at Sutter's Mill in 1848 that started the California gold rush. See the pic.

Cal

gold_nugget_first_in_Calif.jpg

Mad Stax, Jwt708, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Would love to go there someday. I visited the Royal Coin Cabinet in Stockholm last year, saw the worlds heaviest coin.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Glad to hear you had a good time cal. So that's the Sutter's Mill nugget huh. I didn't realise it was so small or assumed it would have been a litter bigger I guess. Very cool

5. calcol

I was surprised both that it still existed and that it is so small. James Marshall, the man who found it, must have had good eyesight.

Cal

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Are you magnifying the magnifying glass?

7. calcol

Hard to say. Took the picture with a Nikon point-and-shoot. Nugget is 7 mm long.
    Cal

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  8. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

Great visit, I think I might be headed there some point in the near future.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That is pretty cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted