Vindex and Galba

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Nov 7, 2015.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I've recently acquired both of these coins, crossing one more off of my Twelve Caesars list and adding the Vindex denarius as a "bonus" which I've sought after for quite some time.

The Vindex denarius comes from the Gasvoda collection and was a pleasant surprise when I received it in hand, with the toning being much more beautiful in person than the still-attractive auction photos led me to believe. More importantly, this coin has solid metal, unlike most other Vindex denarii.

[​IMG]

Vindex Denarius, Gaul, March-May 68 AD, AR 3.61 g. MARS – VLTOR Helmeted and draped bust of Mars r. Rev. Aquila between two standards, altar to r.; in field, P – R and in exergue, [SI]GNA. C Galba 406. BMC Galba 39. Martin 60. RIC 51. CBN 18. Very rare and in exceptional condition for the issue. Struck on unusually fine metal and with a wonderful iridescent tone. Extremely fine Ex Antiqua sale XII, 2003, 134. This issue is related to the effort of Vindex to displace Nero in 68. Vindex is said to have amassed a following of 100,000 soldiers. The type here, as is common during the civil war, is a recreation of an earlier denarius of Augustus using the Mars Ultor motif

[​IMG]

Galba; 68-69 AD, Rome, Denarius, 3.30g. BM-34 corr, C-287, Paris-76, RIC-167. Obv: IMP SER - GALBA AVG Head bare r. Rx: S P Q R / OB / C S in three lines within oak wreath. Bare-headed portrait. Ex Auction F. Sternberg, Zürich 15./16. November 1979, lot 74. Beautifully toned with a striking portrait. Choice EF

(I haven't had a chance to complete a full writeup so the description below comes from a CNG auction)

"The civil wars at the end of Nero’s reign began with the revolt of the governor of Gallia Lugdunensis, Gaius Julius Vindex, probably around the beginning of March of AD 68. Vindex offered the leadership of the revolt to Servius Sulpicius Galba, then governor of Hispania Tarraconensis, who was hailed imperator by the Spanish legions at Carthago Nova in April of the same year. The title was cautiously refused, but Galba did declare himself the legatus of the senate and people of Rome. Just a month later, Galba’s confidence would be shaken by the crushing defeat of Vindex near Besançon by the general Lucius Verginius Rufus, governor of Germania Superior. By 9 June Nero was dead, having taken his own life. Galba began his march to Rome, and his brief reign was underway.

Coinage, of course, was needed during these precarious months of revolt and without an emperor to strike in the name of (save for that in honor of the “model emperor” of Roman history, Augustus) the coinage was struck with messages suiting the political climate. The coinage under Vindex possesses a more aggressive air that underscores the militant nature of his revolt, while Galba’s tends to be more constitutional and optimistic in tone."

Post your coins of Galba or Vindex!

slynop, jb_depew, TJC and 33 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool additions, Mr Bond ... I've never even heard of Vindex (great score)

Galba => I have an entry-level example for your thread ...

Galba AE As
    Galba & Libertas

Galba.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow those are beautiful, love the toning and all.

My galba look so ghetto compared to that :(

[​IMG]

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

AJ, your coins continue to amaze... all killer, no filler. That Vindex is an absolute prize!

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Perfect description! That Vindex is stunning.

EmilyLitellaWindex.jpg

At the moment I only have one Galba, a rather "experienced" tetradrachm from Alexandria. The portrait is generic; the engravers apparently never saw the man.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Galba
    year 2, CE 68/9
    tetradrachm
    Obv: ΣEPOVIΓAΛBAAVTOKAIΣΣEBA; laureate head right; LB
    Rev: Bust of Roma right, with shield and spear forward; PΩMH
    Ref: Emmett 174(2) R1, Milne 325

7. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Great coins all:facepalm:, my Galba collection[​IMG]
    1 Galba sestertius Roma
    [​IMG]
    2 Galba AS securitas

TJC, Johndakerftw, Curtisimo and 15 others like this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Und now, I vill show you mein Vindex...

windex_original.jpg

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Those Vindex and Galba are to die for, no less !
    I have a Galba I wouldn't even dare to show after those marvels

Q

TJC and stevex6 like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Breathtaking!!!

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

TIF--LOL at Emily Litella!!

Mikey Zee, TIF and stevex6 like this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Always spectacular coins AJ!!

Both are simply incredible!!

My denarius of Galba is much like all the other posts---nice and desirable, but way out of contention when compared to yours---and no Windex...ero_O, I mean Vindex:rolleyes:.

galba denarius with wreath reverse 001.JPG galba denarius with wreath reverse 002.JPG

13. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I am so happy I am in a seated position when reading these treads. Excellent coins.

I don't have a Galba. I will collect Galbas vicariously through you guys!

As for Vindex - thats dope! As for Windex the product is awesome.

14. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Eesh, amazing coins AJ! Such fantastic pieces. :)

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

16. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

That Vindex denarius of AJ's is fabulous!

AncientJoe likes this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

18. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

EmilyLitellaWindex.jpg
    Be aware that these types of posts might lead to violins in the streets!

19. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

The Galba in particular is an excellent portrait on a small coin. As Dougsmit has pointed out, Galba's bronzes -- much larger canvases -- might represent the pinnacle of portrait art on Roman coins, while my own observation and experience with denarii and aurei of Galba is that those coins never quite achieved the artistry exhibited on bronzes. This denarius is an exception, giving a more youthful appearance to Galba, who was actually quite old (in his early seventies) when he briefly became Caesar.

David Atherton and Mikey Zee like this.
  20. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

WOW! A couple of really magnificent coins,congrats on these two.....

21. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

I agree - this is the first Galba denarius to which I've found myself particularly attracted. The sestertii (especially yours) have a much more varied and impressive set of portraits. I'm not specifically trying to complete a set in each metal but an artistic, dramatic portrait of Galba on bronze would certainly not feel out of place in my opinion!

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted