Viking Coin On Pawn Stars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mat, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

History channel, thursday.

5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I know that pawn stars is every thursday at 9pm but when the times comes I almost always forget to watch it.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

They say many of those are faked, then the question on screen says "how much will Rick offer 5k 10k 15k" :)

8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Here is the coin on the Pawn Stars show

[​IMG]
    Pawn Stars Viking Coin 1

[​IMG]
    Pawn Stars Viking Coin 2

Here is a coin that looks like the Pawn Stars coin:

ANGLO-SAXON, Anglo-Viking (Danish East Anglia). St. Edmund memorial coinage.
    Circa 895-910. AR Penny, Gisalca, moneyer. Sold for $895

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=242719

:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  9. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Looks like I missed it again. How much did the coin sell to rick for?

10. x115

x115 Collector

I think Rick paid $800. it appraised for $1,200

11. willieboyd2

The coin was in a small square case which also had three circular note tags, one tag read "Ex Duke of Argyll".

The "coin expert" David Vagi said it was worth $1200, and explained that the Duke was a British coin collector who died in 1949.

The Pawn Stars man Rick Harrison bought the coin for $800.

It is interesting that on one circular note tag the price was "40/" or 40 shillings, if I am reading it right

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If all it said was 40/ it was probably 40 pounds, because 40 shillings would not have been written that way. 40 shillings was 2 pounds and would have been written that way.

13. willieboyd2

Found it!

The Classical Numismatics Group (CNG) link I posted above is the same coin.
    Check the letters which have wear.

Pawn Stars coin:

[​IMG]

CNG coin:

[​IMG]

ANGLO-SAXON, Anglo-Viking (Danish East Anglia). St. Edmund memorial coinage. Circa 895-910. AR Penny (18mm, 1.18 g, 12h). Gisalca, moneyer. + SC E?DIHVND RE (S sideways throughout), large barred A / + ‘_|¯ISLEC? NOE, short cross pattée. SCBI 42 (South-Eastern) 696-7; BMC 534; North 483; SCBC 960. Near EF, toned.

The Duke of Argyll coin collection turns up in a lot of places.
    He collected early English and Roman coins, and they were sold after he died in 1949.
    Some of the current coin dealer webpages list "ex Duke of Argyll" as part of a coin description.

Searching online for "ex Duke of Argyll" brings up a lot of nice old English hammered coins.

Also, I still believe that the "40/" price slash is shillings.
    Coins were just cheaper back then.

Here is an old auction where the original prices are spelled out:

http://stjauctions.com/assets/applets/SJA5part1.pdf

46 Aethelred II, penny, last small cross type (BMC I var), Dover, Manninc, MANNINC OM DOFE, diademed bust l., rev. small cross (S.1154; N.777), small edge crack, otherwise very fine £200-250
    * ex Duke of Argyll Collection (with ticket), purchased from Spink, cost £1.

61 Cnut, penny, helmet type, (BMC XIV), Leicester, Wulfnoth, PVLNOÐ ON LERA, helmeted bust l., with sceptre, rev. short voided cross, circles in centre, pellets in angles (S.1158; N.787), toned, good very fine or better and rare £180-220
    * ex Duke of Argyll Collection (with ticket), purchased from Seaby for 27/6d

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Pricing something at 40 shillings though just doesn't make sense it would be like us pricing something today as 40 dimes. We would say four dollars and they would have said two pounds.

15. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

as an old man who was brought up on pounds shillings and pence,we did talk of 40 shillings and wrote it as 40/-,you are correct it does not make sense,but those were the days.we even spoke of guineas when none existed.

Ancientnoob and Peter T Davis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted