Viet Nam

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

It is a good known fact: an Asian coins aren't very famous and popular. I think, it is unfairly because Asian - is the one of the ancient places of human civilisation. Chinese civilization, Indian civilizatian, Japanese civilization... I can long list the great Asian countries with ancient history.
    But I want to make a thread about Viet Nam. It is an ancient asian country, moreover, it is the place where there were many historical wars and events.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I thought that now that China has a large middle class (and upper classes), collecting Chinese coins was a very hot segment of the hobby? I thought that prices on Chinese coins were skyrocketing and very popular in last few years, even going so far as to have PCGS open a branch there?

john-charles likes this.
  4. Siberian Man

At 1887 Viet Nam became the part of French Indo-China - the French colony in Asia. Another lands which were the parts of the French Indo-China were Laos and Cambodia.
    It is good known that during the WW II Republic of France was occupied by the German and Italian military troops and became the Hitler's satellite (as the State of France). Another name of French State was the Vichy Regime.
    Colonial administration of French Indo-China recognized the Vichy Regime. Japanese troops controlled the territory of colony (de facto) but the French administration formally continued to fulfill the duties. Moreover, French Indo-China was the only French colony where a coins of the Vichy regime were released. It were a coins with the caption "Indochine" on the reverse and "Etat Francais" on the obverse.

talerman likes this.
  5. Siberian Man

Probably. But in Russia Chinese coins aren't popular. I don't know why, but it's fact.

6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

And I agree with you in general, that for most collectors in the USA, Asian coins are not on the radar.

7. Siberian Man

Vichy Regime.
    1/4 centime 1942, zinc, weight - 2,4 g., size - 20 mm, mintage - 221800000 pcs. Such coins were released at 1942-44. A coins with the date "1944" are rather expensive in the high grade (from VF to Unc) - about $ 150 and more.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views:
  8. krispy

krispy krispy

Some paper money from the modern era:

Vietnam 20 Dong note, 1960s:
    [​IMG]

Vietnam 20 Dong note, 1950s:
    [​IMG]

Vietnam 100 Dong note, 1960s:
    [​IMG]

9. Siberian Man

Vichy Regime.
    1 centime 1943, aluminium, weight - 0,6 g., size - 17,3 mm, thickness - 1,2 mm, mintage - 15000000 pcs. The single release only. A coins of this type aren't very expensive even in Siberia. I've got mine for $6 only.

Attached Files:

• 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      59.4 KB
      Views:
    Mickey in PDX, talerman and medjoy like this.
  10. krispy

krispy krispy

Depends, as some define Asia as rather expansive part of the globe and those who collect Ancients certainly fall into these regions.

Attached Files:

john-charles and geekpryde like this.
  11. Siberian Man

My wife visited Viet Nam at November 2013. She said that it is a nice country with a hot climate and friendly people. And with a very low prices.

12. Siberian Man

Vichy Regime.
    5 centimes 1943, aluminium, weight - 0,7 g., size - 20,5 mm, thickness - 1,15 mm, mintage - 10000000 pcs. The single release only. A coins of this type aren't very expensive too. I've got mine for $7 only (although it is UNC).

Attached Files:

• 27.jpg
      27.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Siberian Man

At March 9 1945 Japanese troops disarmed the French colonial troops. And then Japanese proclaimed 3 puppet states: State of Laos, Kingdom of Kampuchea and the Empire of Viet Nam. Bao Dai became the emperor of the Empire of Viet Nam. But his reign was very short: at August 25 1945 a communist troops seized power in the country. The empire was abolished and the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam was proclaimed.

talerman likes this.
  14. Siberian Man

There was the one but great problem: after the end of the WW II French rulers decided to return in Asia and to colonized this region again. They're recognized the Democratic republic of Viet Nam but as the part of the Union of Indo-China (Federation Indochinoise). Moreover, at June 1946 the French colonial administration proclaimed "an independent" Republic of Cochinchine (on the Viet Nam's territory). The rulers of the Democratic Repoblic of Viet Nam didn't recognized this "independent" state.
    At December 1946 the French troops started the aggression against the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam. It was the long and bloody war - the First Indochina War (1946-1954). A communists troops struggled against the French colonialists. It was the war for the independence.
    It is very interesting, that during this war communist troops of the Democratic republic of Viet Naw has released a coins. The monetary system of the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam: 1 dong = 10 hao = 100 su (xu).

15. Siberian Man

Democratic Republic of Viet Nam (communists).
    5 hao 1946, aluminium, weight - 2,5 g., size - 27 mm, thickness - 2 mm, mintage - unknown. It is rather rare coin, I suppose.

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      132.4 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      124.3 KB
      Views:
    ffrickey likes this.
  16. Siberian Man

At 1949 French troops controlled a big part of the Viet Nam. And they proclaimed a puppet state - the State of Viet Nam (or South Viet Nam). But since the 1951 a communist troops of the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam (North Viet Nam) took the offensive started restricting French troops.
    3 years later (at 1954) France and the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam signed the Geneva Peace Treaty. They agreed temporarily to divide Viet Nam into two parts: the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam and the State of Viet Nam. The country had to become uniform in 1956.

17. Siberian Man

State of Viet Nam (the French puppet state).
    10 su 1953, aluminium, weight - 1,3 g., size - 23 mm, mintage - 20000000 pcs. Engraver: Lucien Georges Bazor. The single release only.

Attached Files:

• 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      95.6 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
    ffrickey likes this.
  18. Siberian Man

State of Viet Nam (the French puppet state).
    20 su 1953, aluminium, weight - 2,2 g., size - 27 mm, mintage - 15000000 pcs. Engraver: Lucien Georges Bazor. The single release only.

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      134.2 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      135.3 KB
      Views:
    Effigy303 likes this.
  19. Siberian Man

At 1955 the State of Viet Nam was renamed in the "republic of Viet Nam". And the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam (North Viet Nam) and the Republic of Viet Nam (South Viet Nam) didn't unite at 1956. At 1965 the grand War in Viet Nam has started. But it already other history...

20. Siberian Man

Democratic Republic of Viet Nam.
    Third nothern dong (the 1959's monetary reform: 1 dong = 10 hao = 100 xu). New coins were released at 1959 but with the date "1958".

2 xu 1958, aluminium, weight - 1,22 g., size - 22 mm, thickness - 1,6 mm, mintage - unknown. The single release only.

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      79.8 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      95.1 KB
      Views:
    CoinTalkJim likes this.
  21. Siberian Man

Democratic Republic of Viet Nam.
    5 xu 1958, aluminium, weight - 1,6 g., size - 24 mm, thickness - 1,7 mm, mintage - unknown. The single release only.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      120.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      147.7 KB
      Views:
Draft saved Draft deleted