(Video) Unboxing - Sestertius of Nero, Antoninius of Probus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zadie, Oct 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I suspect an autocorrect error, changing aeter to aether.

+VGO.DVCKS and zadie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zadie

zadie Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking. I feel extremely lucky to get it for $250. I wasn't really looking for the coin of Probus but it really just stuck out when I was bidding, really pleased with it as well.

Thank you so much! I was a bit worried that the footage wouldn't be adequate. My setup is far from optimal but I work with what I have. I'm already working on a few ideas and have a few coins currently making their way to me ;)

I'm really glad you liked it! I'm hoping to delve a bit deeper on the indivudal coins next time and provide a little context to the pieces I buy.

The portraits of Nero, especially on his sestertii are so pleasing to the eye. I love the fact that he's not shown in the shape of a soldier-king or otherwise. Maybe I'm being naive but I feel like I can see an emperor of Rome in extrodinary detail for what he really was (A chubby little maniac).

Many thanks! My latin is very off but I try! :playful:
    Hahah, I was hoping I could squeak by without anyone noticing. I'm Swedish hehe.

Wow, thanks for the info. Stupid mistake made by me when editing :facepalm:
    Evidently I'm a bit ignorant in crisis-era coins. Are people intentionally trying to remove traces of silvering? Looking at a couple coins now I do have to agree that they look a bit better without IMO.

Edessa and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I've been seeing more and more videos on the Facebook ancient coins group. A great way to capture the essence of a coin in hand. Great Probus as well.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Most definitely! I fully agree that coins with zero silver look better than those with part silver - especially when that part is defined as patches here and there. I do not know exactly what process is used most often but I find it hard to believe that coins could survive in full mint state with no wear and still have lost every speck of the original silvering. There is also the matter of there being some collections, hoards and sales that match too conveniently in terms of color. Certainly we know that all ancient coins have been cleaned to one degree or another AND we know that the difference between natural toning by exposure to substances in the air and 'artificial' toning where the coin is exposed to those same substances in one of several ways is mostly a matter of time. I do not avoid rapidly retoned coins as much as I wish I could simply because I want the type coin more than I want one with totally 'natural' surfaces. Here on Coin Talk we have discussed frequently the differences between cleaning, smoothing, tooling and repatination in a number of ways from placing the coin in a sunny window to painting it with face makeup (or just paint!). Where each of us draws the line is a matter of personal preference.

The coin of Probus below illustrates what I consider a particularly unattractive mix of silvered and silver free blotches. Could I make the coin better by removing the silver wash? Should I?
    The obverse is not bad but the large, unsilvered area of the reverse at the top is bothersome to my eyes.
    rs2750bb1765.jpg
    The one below retains almost no silver save one patch that makes Probus look like he is sneezing. Not pretty.
    rs2770bb1780.jpg
    This Carus bothered me so much that it now resides in another collection whose owner, I hope, can appreciate its many good points without dwelling on the part silvering that led me to dispose of the coin.
    rs3133xx2805.jpg

For the record: I can accept the removal of patchy silvering even though I do not do it with my coins BUT I can not accept the concept of adding silver to make the coins look like they did on the day they were made. Every so often you will see a coin with silver plating on top of corrosion lumps. That is a bad sign and I do not buy those. I say that but I wonder what I would do if I ran across a resilvered coin of a type I really, really wanted.

Edessa, zadie, Carl Wilmont and 5 others like this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I like your video zadie, professional made , not much to improve imho

Here's my Probus , probably came from a swamp:

P1180041ROMA temple2.jpg

7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins and nice video.. I find the music distracting but we all have a mute button.
    Here is my $32 Probus..

upload_2020-10-29_11-57-20.png

8. singig

singig Well-Known Member

interesting presentation idea and very nice coins !

Probus, antoninianus, Rome. RIC V-2 Rome 186; Sear 12027.
    IMP PROBVS AVG, radiate, helmeted and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield /
    ROMAE AETER, hexastyle temple with Roma seated within, holding Victory and sceptre. Mintmark R dot in crescent gamma.
    prob1.jpg

9. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Somebody was eating while packing the coin XD

zadie likes this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...A solid Probus. ...I thought the music was very appropriate to the video and commentary; on the operant spectrum, leaning much more toward 'intentionally unobtrusive' than 'obnoxiously dumb.'

zadie likes this.
  11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Yes, the video was very well done.. music - that is a difficult balance to be sure. Its not for me but I don't claim to be normal. Sometimes the silence can be deafening as well... I don't have the answer.
    The coins are certainly the stars of the show - excellent!

zadie and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  12. zadie

zadie Well-Known Member

Yes, others have also mentioned this. I admit my ear is probably not the best when it comes to picking fitting music and judge what sound levels would be the best. I'll try to keep this in mind when editing my next video as the last thing I want is for a good video to be ruined by distracting music. I appreciate you letting me know this! :)

Thank you so much. I have a few more coins in the mail and will certainly make a new unboxing when they arrive.
    Yours seems to be of the same type as mine. However, I thought the mintmark you described actually was "R*Γ" or "Rome, third officina". Am I wrong?

Hahah, I thought the same thing. Really bizarre. I didn't really mind since the coin was untouched but still hope that I am alone in this experience from Roma ;)

13. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Clavdivs, for whatever it's worth, the full range of what you're talking about is readily familiar. Sounds like our 'triggers' are just on different parts of the same page. Number 1 on my peeve list is news websites that preemptively play (video and) audio, unless I take the precaution of turning the speakers off.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  14. singig

singig Well-Known Member

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted