VICTORY! My Local Walmart's Sellf Checkout Machines ACCEPT HALVES!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Drago the Wolf, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Drago the Wolf

Drago the Wolf Junior Member

No, I am not saying this is "my" victory, as the machines likely accepted halves in the first place. But I feel like a victory, as I inserted a brass buck to test that first, and it was accepted, then I inserted the half and I saw $1.00 change to $1.50 and I was like "WOW!!! IT ACCEPTED IT! THIS MACHINE ACCEPTED HALVES!!!" :eek: So I was so happy to know that there ARE machines out there that DO NOT "disclude" the half as a circulating denomination! BUT, I was NOT done yet! The final test, a $2 bill, and of course, the $2 bill was also accepted (I wonder if the thing takes Ikes? Just kidding. I'm not attempting that one, as it just might jam the machine, since they are obsolete, like half cents, 2 cent coins, 3 cent coins, 20 cent coins and all of the Gold Eagles are obsolete (and who would want to spend those in natural circulation, anyway, when they command a premium?) My mother was with me, and she told me that she sort of held her breath as I inserted that half. :p

(Ha! Take that, Fred! :devil: The half's circulation days are NOT quite over yet! Tough luck, but hey, I did say the machines also take your silly little dollar coins as well, right?)

Anyway, needless to say, I am VERY happy that these self checkouts at my local Walmart accept not only halves, but dollar coins and $2 bills as well, but especially the halves. Now if I could just get them to dispense the halves and $2 bills as needed ;).

Oh, and by the way, can some of you other half fans get a few halves and try then at your local Walmart if you have one and then post it here if your local Walmart self checkout accepts halves? Because, while I figure most places are usually the same, I'd like to know if other Walmarts and possibly Sam's Clubs (If Sam's Clubs have self checkouts) accept halves in their self checkout machines. Thanks to those who participate in this experiment.

:cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Your mom should be very proud of you.

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I've never seen a self check-out anywhere that even took cash. All the ones I've seen take only credit/debit cards.
    Guy

5. Drago the Wolf

And I'm sure your mom will be proud of you some day...When you graduate the 3rd grade.

That put aside, now at least if I try to do my restaurant idea, I can be sure that I can find machines that at least "accept" halves, if not also "dispense" them.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's great news! I'd given up on finding self-checkout machines that would take them. I've got quite a pile of them that I could spend at Wal-Mart, but I don't get out there very frequently. I'll try to keep it in mind.

But I'm keeping the Ikes. :)

7. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I'm happy you're happy. I happen to have a handfull of Kennedys presently and I'll be at the local one in a couple of days so I'll try 'em. I usually use my debit card but I'll buy a pack of gum just for you.

8. Mikecouil

Mikecouil New Member

I go out of my way NOT to use self checkout lanes anywhere. Cashier jobs are some of the last low paying/low skill jobs left in the U.S. and these things are doing nothing for anybody but taking those jobs away. I'd much rather hand a half dollar to a real person.

9. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

Well first of all .... I hate walmart...and target...and Kmart, doesnt mean I dont go to those place because sometimes I have to. We have the self check out in the local walmart, and a bunch of other stores... it seems every place has those out here. Im curious now if they work. I'll report back

10. Drago the Wolf

Thank You for thinking of trying the experiment for me.

Keep your Ikes. I try to keep mine most of the time, but only spend a few here and there in an emergency type situation only. :D

That is most appreciated to have even a debit card user get in on the experiment. Thanks a LOT!!! :hail:

11. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

How do people come across Ikes anymore?? atleast for face?? The only place I get Ikes is in change from my coin guy, or if someone pays me with them, but those times are so few and far between, and its usually only one or two. I can not remember the last time I found any at a bank.

12. Drago the Wolf

That is so odd. Sorry about your unluckiness in getting Ikes at face, but about a half a year ago, I got a plastic bank sealed bag of $25 worth that I have still not opened yet to check for silver, plus another $50 worth that my brother's ex-boss paid him in for something, then I bought them off him, and in fact, sold him the equivelent in halves so that he would not have to spend the Ikes when he needed the money, and so that he could buy his Ikes back off me when he has the money, and he wants to buy my Ikes off me too, and if he wants them back, I will sell them all to him, seeing as they are only worth face value, unless 40% silver. Oh and I'm in Wayne County, Michigan, and get Ikes at local banks and my local credit union, if available and if no one else beat me to them. Where are you located?

13. Drago the Wolf

Thanks ocjoe949. By the way, I wonder if these machines will reject 90% and 40% silvers. Especially the 40% silvers, because none of us knew about machine that took halves until I discovered the Walmart self checkouts accepting them, so, obviously, there could not have been a lot of experimentation with 40% silvers, but we know that machines usuall reject 90% silvers, but as for 40% silvers, I sure won't be risking trying my only 40% silver half I've got. ;)

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I've seen them plenty of times. Our local Raley's ask's "Select Payment Method" CASH/CREDIT/DEBIT

15. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague, so no, I'm not heading down to Wal-Mart just to see if their vending machines accept halves or dollar coins.

16. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Yup, just about every grocery store in my area with self-checkouts accept cash as payment.

17. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

That's wierd, I've never seen one that doesn't take both.

18. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

This is WALMART!! They will take any type of money the can!! LOL

19. VACookey

VACookey New Member

I've never seen a self checkout that DIDN'T accept cash. Maybe things are different in California. Or here in Virginia.

20. enochian

enochian silver eater

the self check out lines are not taking jobs away at walmart my walmart dosent even have a person for every normal line the self check out is just faster way

i agree that they could be taking away jobs in smaller stores

21. joseph289

joseph289 Member

I work for wal-mart. They are trying something new. The self checkouts are in an enclose area. only about 2-4 accept cash rest is debt,credit and gift cards

Draft saved Draft deleted