Victory Is Mine!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mad Stax, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Well, that may be a slight overstatement. But, I finally pulled the trigger on a Morgan today... and my 20th century type set is complete! I'll continue to upgrade coins as time goes along, but it feels great to have a completed folder that was started from scratch.
    20170712_165050.jpg 20170712_165148.jpg 20170712_165227.jpg

Putting this together has been priority #1 numismatically speaking for awhile so I'm not sure what type of set I plan on attempting next. Leaning towards V nickels, but I'll hold off for now and enjoy having put this together in the meantime.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You're missing the Sac ,and Presidential dollars for the set.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your 1971 Eisenhower would be part of my Birth Year set ;)

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yeah, no empty holes. :)

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Now upgrade everything to ms65 gem level, THEN we can talk:troll:

7. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

8. Mad Stax

Thanks everyone! Haha thatd be the day heavycam, maybe well talk in a couple decades then ;).
    @Paddy54 do any of those carry 20th century dates? I thought the earliest Sac dollars were from 2000... I may be mistaken, they're not included in Littleton folders but they are included in Whitmans.

9. Paddy54

I do believe that they were also included in Dansco albums my 7070 had them but didn't use that album sold it for a sweet profit a few years back. One of the reasons I don't use albums for my type sets.
    They all aren't consistent .....that said I prefer other methods of storage .

10. Mad Stax

Yeah, to each their own. I've been advised to switch from folder to album in order to display both sides of a coin.
    Personally I find albums too bulky and more difficult to easily display.
    If I begin building up a high end slabbed type set I'll have to make the switch, but most of this set came out of circulation, with the exception of barber dime, quarter, and half, SLQ, and Morgan which I had to buy or trade for.

11. Paddy54

Well two suggestions you can slab your own as there's some nice after market stuff out there.... also Capital holders and break it down by each series . I put a 5 cent one together I say 5 cent as it's a half dime then shield , liberty , buffalo , Jefferson .
    You could do the same for the others. Capital makes a lot of holders.
    Then there's air tights in which they also make album's for I have my raw IHC collection in them.....but again an album and space concerns .

12. Mad Stax

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely check out their selection.

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice but now I would focus on expanding it to the full set, sans gold, with 19th century silver & copper.

Santinidollar and Mad Stax like this.
  14. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I like it.
    How can you go wrong having one of everything.

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Cool set! Congratulations on your completion.

16. orifdoc

orifdoc Well-Known Member

Very cool!

Looking for upgrades and expanding it can be an even bigger challenge.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The Sac is 20th century, but the Presidential dollars are 21st.

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Congrats on completing the set.

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Congrats! I am working on my first set, an Ike collection. It's a cheap yet fun set to make.

Mad Stax likes this.
  20. Mad Stax

So I've decided to start working on another set.
    Cascade suggested going even further back in time to the 19th century, which I think is a great idea, but I'm gonna research those coins and their values more first.
    So I decided to go with V nickels for now. A lot of people aren't fans of V nickels (or any Barber designs for that matter). But I've always had a special place in my numismatic heart for them ever since I found a 1911 in change (which spurred my interest in collecting) and a 1907 back when I was roll hunting, not the nicest looking coin but it is the oldest I ever found in a roll which made it neat nonetheless. Its also a set that is reasonably completeable.
    It's a dreary, rainy day today, perfect day to peruse the coin shop, so I decided to kick start my liberty head collection with a few purchases. For the most part I'm looking for F or better.
    I got a...
    20170724_101216.jpg 20170724_101248.jpg
    1883 n/c, 1908, 1911 (need the other one for the type set), and 1912D.

Anyone else who's in the process of building a set show it off, we'd enjoy seeing the progress you're making.

Draft saved Draft deleted