Victor's top 10 of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Victor_Clark, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice selection, with special mention to the Antioch Licinius II. Great portrait, gorgeous shield and helmet. I had an eye on it when it has been auctioned, and it sure went to the right place

Q

Victor_Clark likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A wonderful group. My favorite is the Diocletian campgate with the eagles on the turrets -- I've never seen anything like it before.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

In terms of price, this was probably my best buy of the year. This coin has sold 4 times in the past 8 years. The first auction listing I found for it was 2012 from Lanz where it was unsold with an 800 EUR estimate. The next auction was Gitbud & Naumann in 2013 where it sold for $710. The last auction was Gadoury in 2015 where it sold for $753. On eBay, this year, I won it for $376.55.

DonnaML likes this.
  5. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

That coin is awesome!!!!

Victor_Clark likes this.
  6. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Great selection!....All have their plus's my fav is the Lic I with II so difficult to find that type coin with such nice detail....Congrats on an interesting year Victor!

Victor_Clark likes this.
  7. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

Fascinating selection - yet more for my wants list, especially
    the Licinius double portrait

Victor_Clark likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

All ten are winners! I'd love to have one of those Licinius I/II issues, yours is a really nice. The Rome mint Constantine I with the cryptogram is another outstanding example of a type high on my want list. The Maximinus II campgate with the portcullis is another favorite, as is the one with the half-length bust and decorated shield. Heck, I'd love to have all of them!

Victor_Clark likes this.
  9. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Victor_Clark Great cohesive group. I like the Camp Gate Diocletian and the unusual Carthaginian Argentus.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  10. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

So I collect LRBs and look at them all the time. But as I move down Victor’s list, I find myself saying, “Wow, I’ve never seen that before!” over and over again. How to choose one? That Licinian dual-bust coin is pretty special. But they all are.

rrdenarius, dougsmit and Victor_Clark like this.
  11. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coins! My favorites are the Licinius I and II confronting busts and Maximinus II with campgate reverse.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Few of us appreciate the depth of some of the collections of a few of our members in their specific fields. If you go a week reading Coin Talk and do not learn something or see something new to you it must mean you are either very well schooled in the subject or you are reading very few of the posts. We have some really good posts on Flavians, late Roman (of several sub specialties), Severan and some others that I am sure I should have mentioned in this reply. Victor's group is truly exceptional.

13. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Thanks all for the comments. I admit I was not going to even post at first as I think it is too easy to cross into bragging territory and honestly anyone can buy coins if they have the money to spend. I only "found" 2 of my top 10, the rest were clearly identified in big auctions with lots of people looking and bidding. It's also a bit of a quandary for me. I like showing my coins, like most everyone, but don't want to raise interest in certain types which can then generate demand and inflate prices. Anyway, thanks again and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Kiaora and Gavin Richardson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted