Victor's top 10 of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Victor_Clark, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I think that I have posted topics about most of these. My collecting interests are mainly 4th century, with a particular focus in Constantinian coinage.

the first was my first favorite of the year, purchased in February--

Siscia_H6.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 318-19
    19mm 2.9g
    IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate helmet and cuirassed bust right with spear across right shoulder and shield/ buckler on left.
    VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP; two Victories stg., facing one another, together holding shield inscribed VOT PR on altar.
    in ex. ΓSIS
    RIC VII Siscia –

RIC does not list this bust type (H6) for any of the VLPP’s; but, with the obverse legend, it should come after Siscia 53

Constantine I_ AD 307_310-337_ Æ Follis (21mm, 4_72 g, 6h)_ Rome mint.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 312- 313
    21mm 4.7g
    IMP C CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    HERCVLI VICTORI; Hercules standing right, leaning on club and holding Victory on globe and lion’s skin.
    In ex. R S
    RIC VI Rome 299

This rarer reverse type was issued after the defeat of Maxentius. During this period, the mint of Rome struck coins for Maximinus and Licinius I also, but a few types, including this one, were struck only for Constantine I. It is also an unlisted workshop (RIC VI only lists P and Q) and is ex- Dattari.

The use of the Hercules reverse is perhaps a reference to the Tetrarchic system in which rulers belonged to either the family of Jupiter or Hercules; though there were HERCVLI VICTORI reverses issued from the East for all three rulers. On a side note-- there is also a herculean allusion from Praxagoras of Athens via the review of Photius in which Constantine was forced by Galerius to fight a lion.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/Constantine/Photius.html

20201.2.186_1.jpg

Constantine I BI Nummus. Rome, AD 320. CONSTANTINVS AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust right / ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated right on round shield, holding another round shield inscribed X-V in two lines; RЄѠCP (ЄѠ ligate) in exergue. RIC 194 corr. (Roma seated left). 3.63g, 19mm, 6h.

special because of the cryptogram in the mintmark

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/ROMAE/

6020.22.1_1.jpg

anepigraphic DAFNE

Constantine I Æ Nummus. Constantinople, AD 328. Rosette-diademed head right, looking upwards / CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE, Victory seated left on cippus, looking right, palm branch in each hand; trophy in front, at the foot of which kneels a captive, spurned by Victory; B in left field, CONS in exergue. RIC 32 var. (obv. legend); Speck and Huston 32. 3.17g, 21mm, 6h.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com//DAFNE/

17380.1.11_1.jpg

Licinius I, with Licinius II as Caesar, Æ Nummus. Nicomedia, AD 320. DD NN IOVII LICINII INVICT AVG ET CAES, confronted laureate and draped busts of Licinius I and II, together holding Fortuna / I O M ET FORT CONSER DD NN AVG ET CAES, Jupiter standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding Victory on globe in right hand, leaning on sceptre; Fortuna standing right crowned with modius, holding cornucopiae and rudder set on globe, SMNΔ in exergue. RIC 38. 4.17g, 22mm, 12h.

Bastien, "Coins with a Double Effigy Issued by Licinius at Nicomedia, Cyzicus, and Antioch," Numismatic Chronicle 1973

Valens campgate.jpg

Valens, Eastern Roman Empire (AD 364-378). AE2 (22mm, 4.43 gm, 5h). Trier, AD 367-375. D N VALEN-S P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Valens right, seen from front / GLORI-A ROMA-NORVM, campgate with six rows, two turrets, no doors; S above, SMTR in exergue. RIC IX 29b.

maximinus-ii-as-caesar-bi-6070095-O.jpg

Maximinus II, as Caesar, BI Nummus. Cyzicus, circa AD 308. GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB CAES, laureate head right / VIRTVS MILITVM, four-turreted camp gate without doors; MKΓ in exergue. RIC 40. 6.05g, 26mm, 12h.

01464q00.jpg

Maximinus II, as Caesar, 305-309. Follis (Bronze, 26 mm, 6.44 g, 12 h), Antiochia, circa 309. MAXIMINVS NOB CAES Helmeted and cuirassed bust of Maximinus II to left, holding spear over his right shoulder and shield decorated with two horsmen riding to left, four enemies below them; on cuirass, gorgoneion; on helmet, Sol standing facing in quadriga, raising his right hand in salute and holding globe in his left, around, stars and crescent, crest ending in griffin. Rev. VIRTVS EXERCITVS / B / ANT Virtus standing front, head to left, resting her right hand on decorated shield and holding spear in her left; in field to left, lighted altar. RIC 125

my_pic.JPG

Diocletian
    A.D. 295
    AR Argenteus
    19mm 3.3g
    DIOCLETIANVS AVG; laureate head right.
    VICTORIAE SARMATICAE; four turreted camp-gate, open, with doors thrown back; each turret surmounted by facing eagle.
    In ex. SMNΓ
    RIC VI Nicomedia 22a

and my most recent and probably last coin of the year--

constantius-i-as-caesar-ad-6643583-O.jpg

Constantius I. As Caesar, AD 293-305. AR Argenteus (18mm, 2.74 g, 6h). Carthage mint, 3rd officina. Struck circa AD 296-298. Laureate head right / Africa standing facing, head left, holding standard and tusk; at her feet, lion standing left, head right, with bucranium to left; T. RIC VI 14a; RSC 33.

Ex Charles Oman collection

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Superb coins. My favorites are the Lic I and II, Maximinus II and Diocletian campgate.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done, @Victor_Clark ! Excellent 2020... I really like the reverse of your last one.

5. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

That argenteus from Karthago is just a beaut. Quite a catch, Victor!

Victor_Clark likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see something special about each one. The Maximinus II campgate may not have doors but what is that cross hatched grating descending from the top of the door? I suppose the one I found personally notable is the 'cryptogram' RЄѠCP. I once had a goal of getting the set of these but failed to find even one Licinius II and only had one or the other of the reverses for most of the other persons who had these.
    Constantine I
    rv4800b01550alg.jpg

Licinius I
    ru4285bb2942.jpg

Crispus (both types)
    rw5693bb3028.jpg rw5695bb2943.jpg

Constantine II
    rw5845bb0987.jpg rw5842fd3249hd.jpg

We could mention that the types also come with a more ordinary Rome mintmark and sell for less but are not all that east to find. These the Crispus and Constantine II plain brown wrapper coins.
    rw5690b00673lg.jpg rw5844bb2890.jpg

Curtisimo, rrdenarius, JROMA and 13 others like this.
  7. Victor_Clark

It's a portcullis-- a heavy gate that can be raised and lowered.

rrdenarius likes this.
  8. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selection. I like your fist coin. The super-sized obverse portrait has a comic feeling... :)

finny and Victor_Clark like this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

My favorite is still the Valens AE2, with the Carthaginian argenteus close behind

Victor_Clark likes this.
  10. Victor_Clark

That is one of the things that attracted me to Siscian VLPP's...the earlier busts in the series frequently have a stylized, cartoonish look.

happy_collector likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Still like the helmeted Maximin Daia. My favorite for sure.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some wonderful coins this year, Victor.

My favorites are 3, 5, 7, 8, & 10

Victor_Clark likes this.
  13. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I guess a bunch of these would make one of your argenteus. It's my favourite coin from the great city of Karthago. Love the lion on this one:

Galerius
    AE Follis
    [​IMG]
    298 A.D., Carthage Mint, 4th Officina
    8.24g, 28.0mm, 6H

Obverse: MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES,
    Head of Galerius, laureate, right

Reverse: FELIX A-DV-ENT AVGG NN,
    Africa, wearing elephant-skin head-dress, draped, standing front, head left, holding standard in right hand and tusk in left hand; to left, lion with captured bull

Exergue: -/I//PKΔ

Provenance: Ex. Dattari Collection, Ex. Jesus Vico Online Auction 5, Lot 204

Reference: RIC VI Carthage 26b

DonnaML, Johndakerftw, finny and 4 others like this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I really like the Diocletian campgate:happy: All of the others are supberb examples!

Here is one of my Constantine I era coins/
    AV Aureus ND/ Ticinum Mint
    Constantius I Chlorus "The Green"
    ex: Tkalec IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0073.JPG

Curtisimo, rrdenarius, JROMA and 7 others like this.
  15. Victor_Clark

I actually like the bronzes most, but the argenteus made my top 10 because of rarity and the provenance was an added bonus. I have about 2 dozen bronzes and two were in the running this year for top coins, but did not make the cut.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/Carthage/

Carthage_40a.jpg

Carthage_27b.2.jpg

16. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Fantastic coins Victor (no surprise).

I love the fact one is from Charles Oman's collection. I have book that used to be in his library (below). He might well have held your coin and my book at the same time....

I remember reading his two volume "A History of the Art of War in the Middle Ages" back many, many years ago - I collected spurs and mace heads at the time, not Roman coins. An old book, but a great read. It starts with the defeat at Adrianople in 378.

SC

20201222_183001.jpg 20201222_182949.jpg

Curtisimo, rrdenarius, JROMA and 5 others like this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great selection of late Roman coins, I especially like the camp gate types with Maximinus portcullis door a stand out. Congrats.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  18. finny

finny Well-Known Member

Beautiful set Victor! I especially love the facing busts of Licinius I and II

Victor_Clark likes this.
  19. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Fantastic top 10 @Victor_Clark ! The facing Licinius I & II and the Maximinus II campgate are my favourites, followed by the argentei.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  20. Victor_Clark

Honorable mention for this guy. I guess it's a good year when Domitius Domitianus doesn't make the top 10. He was used to not being included though.

'Lot_ 564 I Ancient Coins from Various Properties Roman Imperial Coinage, Domitius Domitianus1.jpg

Domitius Domitianus
    A.D. 295- 296
    24mm 10.8g
    IMP C L DOMITIVS DOMITIANVS AVG; laureate head right.
    GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae, eagle to left; A in right.
    In ex. ALE
    RIC VI Alexandria 20

21. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great coins @Victor_Clark! I really like the Constantius I and Diocletian AR Argenteus. I didn't know the silver was still so pure during that time.

Victor_Clark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted